Suitcase Home on Pawn Stars

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Suitcase Home on Pawn Stars

Post by Brad »

I turned on the Idiot box last night just happened to see a guy trying to sell a Suitcase Home, horn, and 13 cylinders (plus some parts) on Pawn Stars. I watched one episode of this show once, but it is not on the rotation if you know what I mean.

The funny thing was the proprietor said "Someone who buys this will put it on the shelf. The records, will never be played". Sounds like a sad fate for nice machine.

The guy wanted $1400 for and settled for $700 which wasn't bad given the buyer was an antique dealer.

So, there is an overpriced Suitcase Home on the shelf for sale somewhere in Vegas
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

jdavis
Victor Jr

Re: Suitcase Home on Pawn Stars

Post by jdavis »

Just happened to catch the same segment as I was going to sleep. Nice that they played the cylinder at about 250 RPM & said it sounded awful. Just re-affirms my faith that most pawn-shop dealers & antique stores should not deal with things they don't know about -- guess that would severely limit their stock. Could have bought a late-model VV-X here recently for only $375 -- despite the fact that the case looked like rodents had feasted on it & the motor sounded like it could do serious damage to anyone standing too close!

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I too saw that segment. It was a decent red banner model A. I was disappointed too when the guy listening to it said it was horrible and "who would ever like something like this?"

Then, the old man said that these were the "cat's meow in their day". He then went on to say that whoever bought this would put it on a shelf and tell others what a good thing it is. I laughed when my wife was disappointed in his statement. :)

It was interesting nonetheless. At least it made the show!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

jdavis wrote:Just re-affirms my faith that most pawn-shop dealers & antique stores should not deal with things they don't know about -- guess that would severely limit their stock.
Gosh - I'd have been deprived of many good deals over the years if the antique dealers knew much about phonographs! I suspect we all owe something to the field's general lack of knowledge about our particular interest. Of course, that DOES often result in $375 Victrola "Xs", but I suspect that such a dealer would have priced an "XVIII" pretty much the same. (I once bought one for $250 in a general antique shop.) Viva la ignorance! :D

George P.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

The seller got ripped; one of the "parts" was a complete Busy Bee cylinder machine (same as a Columbia Q, but with the larger mandrel)

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

I saw the episode too and was apppalled at the speed it was playing. The seller was nodding his head in time though, so he must have thought it was correct. It's unfortunate what a bad rap period music gets when it's presenrted that way.
Dave

vic160
Victor Jr

Post by vic160 »

I saw the busy b in there too.....The dealer made a nice buy, there not dumb, they knew what was in the box, it also came with like 3 horns!

Post by Guest »

Look close it was a Model H reproducer and a 2 minute non wax cylinder. This accounts for the dreadful noise. I saw a BB cylinder but did not see a machine. The comment at the end "couple of large horns" was interesting. Pawn will do OK on the resale. Was disappointed they did not call in the normal "expert" to evaluate. Dad is a non starter but let's face it, they are in LV and have been for a long time so they must be doing something right. The kid running the show appears to be fairly smart even if the rest of the show is "produced". Waiting for the first music box to make its entrance. LH

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

The lastest episode of Pawn Stars featured a guy who brought in a Thorens Excelda.

The picture I attached looked like the one on TV. The exterior may have been in worse shape but the interior looked good.

They managed to put it together and play it better than they did the Edison Standard... but basically said there was no market for it.

They made a deal at $100.
Attachments
pic.jpg
pic.jpg (40.76 KiB) Viewed 2227 times

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

phonophan79 wrote:The lastest episode of Pawn Stars featured a guy who brought in a Thorens Excelda.

The picture I attached looked like the one on TV. The exterior may have been in worse shape but the interior looked good.

They managed to put it together and play it better than they did the Edison Standard... but basically said there was no market for it.

They made a deal at $100.

I saw that last night. While I took great umbrage with the "no market for it" comment, I had no idea how much these little guys go for (and also they made a comment about the first portable...not quite right on that).

So what is the going rate for one of these?