Suitcase Home on Pawn Stars

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Suitcase Home on Pawn Stars

Post by brianu »

ha... I caught that show last night as well... I don't know if it was the same episode or not as the excelda, they showed a string of them, but in one the pawn dealer/broker/whatever bought a disassembled helicopter for 10k, had a mechanic rebuild it for 100k, and then planned to sell it for 160k to 170k. if making money could only be so easy.

I caught those remarks as well about phonographs, the first portables, etc. he really was fairly way off, which lead me to wonder just how much bs and misinformation went into his other evaluations (which on the face, seemed off the cuff and direct enough to be credible... but perhaps not - no wonder he throws out that raspy smokers' chortle after almost half of everything he says).

I'd been watching exceldas for a while, wanted to buy one for my dad who's into cameras. they seem to be selling consistently enough on ebay for about 200, more or less, maybe as much as 225 or 240. now and then they drop below that, and I lucked out with one for about a hundred (although the spring was shot and the case was generic black - colors seem to go for more, like blue and green). I've also seen them at the wayne phonograph show for a bit more, around 300 or 350, but those were really nice.
Last edited by brianu on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

I am suspicious of the items appearing on this show, in some respects a blue-collar "Antiques Roadshow," and keep wondering to what degree things are rigged by featuring more exotic items to make the episodes more interesting.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

tarheeltinkerer wrote:I am suspicious of the items appearing on this show, in some respects a blue-collar "Antiques Roadshow," and keep wondering to what degree things are rigged by featuring more exotic items to make the episodes more interesting.
Just like Antiques Roadshow does!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan