Reproducer adjustments

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Brinybay
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal." - Dimitri Martin

Reproducer adjustments

Post by Brinybay »

Somebody mentioned adjusting the needles pivot point. Looking at the part where the needle is inserted, this looks like something I could easily do. But what exactly should I look or hear for? Here's a pic. As you can see, the holder where the needle goes seems to be adjusted all the way to one side:

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Reproducer adjustments

Post by OrthoFan »

From what I can see, the needle, itself, is aligned correctly. Normally, it's clamped to the side of the opening by the thumbscrew.

As for the needle bar's adjustment, this might explain it better:
Needle Bar Movement.JPG
Needle Bar Movement.JPG (46.83 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

Brinybay
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal." - Dimitri Martin

Post by Brinybay »

I just checked it, apparently it's adjusted ok. Thanks for the info.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Looking over your earlier post string -- CLICK HERE -- I agree with Gramophoneshane that the gaskets currently installed are probably impacting the sound quality.

The function of the gaskets is to isolate the diaphragm from the sound box's shell. They also enable the diaphragm to move back and forth with the movement of the needle/needle-bar. Probably, the standard "hollow tube" gaskets should work very well. They come in strips and can be cut to fit --

Sound Box gaskets are available from a number of parts sellers including -- CLICK HERE

Other parts suppliers and repair shops are listed on this page -- http://www.proaxis.com/~settlet/record/links.html -- under the Accessories/Restoration section.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

One other item you should check for: The pivot bar attaches to the center of the mica diaphragm. If it is adjusted too far in or out, it will push or pull on the mica, deforming it from center and will affect it's response and output.

If your reproducer provides for this, you need to adjust so the mica is planar (flat) when at rest. Hold the repro in your hand and move it around so you can see light reflected off of the mica surface. If it is deformed, you should be able to easily see that in the way light is reflected close to the center where the pivot bar attaches. Adjust the spring clips until the mica diaphragm is flat.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?