Phonospace (or, "Where's Waldo?)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Phonospace (or, "Where's Waldo?)

Post by gramophone-georg »

dzavracky wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 pm Thank you everyone!

I am really happy with how the room has turned out. I have been working on finishing up my projects (which seems like a never ending spiral because I just added two more :roll: . The credenza and the edison bell portable). I cannot wait for my electric machines to be working ;) ;)

A few people have asked me "How does a credenza compare to a Cortez"? Well I can't fully answer that question yet because I haven't done any work on the credenza yet. The potmetal reproducer is in pretty sad shape... but I just put the reproducer that was on the 2-55 on the credenza. But at the moment this is all I can say:

The Cortez has a "warmer" sound than the credenza, but the Credenza has much better bass. The biggest difference that I have noticed is that the Cortez sounds the same whether you are sitting on the floor or standing. The Credenza sounds better sitting on the floor than it does standing in front of it.

David
Now you need a VivaTonal 810.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

PeterF wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:38 pm Very nice! I do however feel the need to ask what’s behind that blocked-off door…
Better not: ever read the story about Bluebeard? ;)

- Bill

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

gramophone-georg wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:21 pm
dzavracky wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 pm Thank you everyone!

I am really happy with how the room has turned out. I have been working on finishing up my projects (which seems like a never ending spiral because I just added two more :roll: . The credenza and the edison bell portable). I cannot wait for my electric machines to be working ;) ;)

A few people have asked me "How does a credenza compare to a Cortez"? Well I can't fully answer that question yet because I haven't done any work on the credenza yet. The potmetal reproducer is in pretty sad shape... but I just put the reproducer that was on the 2-55 on the credenza. But at the moment this is all I can say:

The Cortez has a "warmer" sound than the credenza, but the Credenza has much better bass. The biggest difference that I have noticed is that the Cortez sounds the same whether you are sitting on the floor or standing. The Credenza sounds better sitting on the floor than it does standing in front of it.

David
Now you need a VivaTonal 810.
One day I will find one ;)

David

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

david, you've got a nice gramophone room. Only one thing... those unsleeved records in vertical position on your shelves are going to give disappointment.. they tend to slide out and fall on the floor at the slightest provoocation. Be careful. Better: sleeve them! Or find a place to put them horizontal, so they don't slide out!
Inigo

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Nice space David, congratulations on your progress.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Mine spans two different houses and is a cluttered mess not fit for photography…😬😳

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:27 pm Mine spans two different houses and is a cluttered mess not fit for photography…😬😳
The sweetness of honesty.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

As the antithesis to Andy, here's how I am displaying my windup collection these days (no, not REALLY sideways :roll: ):
IMG_4770.JPG

In other news, I saw Jerry B's basement today.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I am looking forward to the day I get to visit Jerry B’s basement. I am sure pictures do not do it justice ;)

David

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:38 pm
AmberolaAndy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:27 pm Mine spans two different houses and is a cluttered mess not fit for photography…😬😳
The sweetness of honesty.
Well with the addition of the cylinder cabinet it’s slightly less cluttered, but many of my machines share the same space as the other pieces of audio / visual gear and the media that plays on them. While my whole cylinder collection so far is in one place all together…the rest not so much. I really could invest in more shelving.