Phonospace (or, "Where's Waldo?)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Phonospace (or, "Where's Waldo?)

Post by phonogfp »

A few kind collectors remarked that they enjoyed looking at the backgrounds of Phono. Focus No.46 as much as the subject itself. I'm the same way with other people's photos, and it occurred to me that perhaps other collectors might be willing to share some wide shots of their phonospace and the rest of us can play "Where's Waldo?" or "Where's Nipper?" or "What the heck is THAT?"

The trouble is - at least from my perspective - someone must get the ball rolling... Okay - this is good therapy for me...

Brief intro:
Phonocookie remarked that he was plagued with too many phonographs and too little space. Isn't that a universal problem for us collectors? Our house used to have 2 or 3 phonographs in every room except the kids' rooms. When they moved out, I began to foam at the mouth for all that lovely space... But Barb put her foot down. I was limited to the 2 small bedrooms I already had, plus whatever I could get away with throughout the rest of the house. Then something wonderful happened. We put in central air conditioning, and I realized that duct work could be run up to our attic. With proper roof ventilation (soffit and ridge vents) and plenty of insulation, our attic was converted into something I'd dreamed about for years. Since the original attic was 2 stories tall in the center, we were able to put in 9-foot ceilings and still have a smaller attic up above - accessible through a pull-down door. So now that smaller space at the very top of the house is our "attic," and the the larger space on the third floor is the "belfry." And it's full of phonograph horns with bells - get it? :roll:

These days Barb has only 3 phonographs in the house (2 of them shown in the first photo below), so she's happy. With all she tolerated in earlier years, she deserves it!

So here's a quick tour of my phonospace. Who's next?

George P.
Attachments
These two Edison Phonographs are the only machines remaining in the downstairs of our house, except for an oak Victrola XVI in a foyer.  The "Gem" is downstairs at Barb's request - one of life's surprises...
These two Edison Phonographs are the only machines remaining in the downstairs of our house, except for an oak Victrola XVI in a foyer. The "Gem" is downstairs at Barb's request - one of life's surprises...
phonowest.jpg
phonosouthalcove.jpg
phonosouthwest.jpg
phonoeastclose.jpg
phonoedisonoaks.jpg
phononortheast.jpg
phonoeclipse.jpg
phonofareast.jpg
phononorthalcove.jpg

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Phonospace (or, "Where's Waldo?)

Post by brianu »

ok, so, how is anyone to be expected to follow up on that sort of intro to this thread???

great "attic" as well... that's a beautifully converted space.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Wow. Valhalla for phonographs.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

A feast for the eyes and a beautiful assembly - much nicer than the exhibit in endless rows often encountered.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Wow George! Thanks for the tour and an opportunity to see some amazing things. I like the idea for the thread. I guess you have shown all of the rare ones a lot of us dream about...so I will handle the oak VV-X's and Edison Standards!

Brent
Victor Jr

Post by Brent »

That ia really amazing! Very Very nice!

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Sorry, but could you please put up some kind of a health warning before posting pictures like this

"may cause heart racing, shortness of breath, eyes popping out, tongue drooping over keyboard, salivating like a bulldog" :-)

I join probably all the other member who's first thought was...wish that was my phonospace, Amazing, fantastic !

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Well George, im glad i mentioned my likeing for playing I Spy in your photos. If i knew you would do this, i would have told you a long time ago haha ;) These pictures are great, and yes there really sould be a warning at the top of the page :lol: Im pretty sure that if im ever in your area you'll be suprised to find me at your door, as will i. Im afraid my phono-senses could take over, ill loose control, and some how end up at your door... :D and if your not home, well then its bad news for your door, as my senses may again take over and just push me through the door :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the look inside!
Aaron

P.S. Ill put up some photos of my phono space (if it can be compared to one)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well! I'm bowled over by the nice responses! That's really gratifying (especially in light of my initial reluctance to try this), but I can assure you that there are members of this board who have larger and more varied collections than I do - - so let's see them too!

However, "larger" or "rarer" or "more valuable" isn't what this is about. There's something more cerebral going on with us (most of us, anyway!) that fascinates us. Did any of us start collecting with the sole intent of developing a big collection? I sure didn't. My Victrola XI playing Paul Whiteman was magic.
brianu wrote:ok, so, how is anyone to be expected to follow up on that sort of intro to this thread???
Uh oh... Remember that I've been at this for 43 years! I wish I could imbed attachments in the body of this message, but check out the first 3 images below from March 1968. I was 14 and had just bought the Edison "Standard" and was as smitten with it as anything I've ever bought. You'll find the horn in one of the images above - I could never dispose of it. The Victrola XVI is still with me too - - it's the first machine I bought with my own money ($20). The little Aeolian-Vocalion was my first phonograph, and was given me by my brother. That's where my collection started, and those were wonderful days. I envy beginning collectors that special breed of magic.

Now check out the next group of 3 photos. Same room but 5 years later. My entire external-horn collection is shown in my parents' backyard in the summer of 1973. I was just as proud of that collection as I am now. (The Victor I is still with me.) There's a couple of display cabinets you saw up above, and there's the Victrola XI that charmed me so. Had I been able to see what was to come, would I have traded places with 55 year-old me? Of course not! I was 19, handsome, and the girls were crawling all over me. Well, I was 19 anyway... :lol:

So what's my point? Everyone starts somewhere, and usually with very little. When I see beginning collections, it takes me back to the late 60s and 70s, and I remember the thrill of finding ANYTHING! Those days are gone for me and for other collectors who have been at this for decades. It takes a lot to get me excited these days. So we gain something and we lose something. But it's all good - all of it!

I'm hoping that Brian was just kidding around, but I don't see photos from others yet, so I hope that sharing my half-baked philosophy will encourage anyone who thinks their stuff or their space isn't "good enough." You've seen where one collector came from, now let's see where YOU'RE coming from!
Attachments
1968001.jpg
1973001.jpg

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

George - wonderful pictures, indeed!

I'll show some of my phonospace...

Dining room... VE-8-30 and Edison 3-C Long Play

Livingroom #1... Ikea bookshelf with Diamond Disc collection and some standard 78 album books - Edisonic Schubert and Zemerphone Asian art phonograph

Livingroom #2... Amberola 30 and Sony PS-FL99 front loading turntable

Desk... Victor Monarch Jr. and Edison Standard

The rest of the house was too messy to take pictures of. ;-)