HMV 104 Near Austin, TX

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

HMV 104 Near Austin, TX

Post by OrthoFan »

Spotted this for sale today: http://austin.craigslist.org/clt/1108074786.html

This actually dates from after 1929, and was the smaller of the two exponential horn tabletop gramophones produced by HMV. Nonetheless, the sound quality is amazing for a machine of its size. It comes close to the Consolette, in terms of range, though is not as loud.

Even with a weak motor, it sounds like a bargain. I only wish I lived nearby.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: HMV 104 Near Austin, TX

Post by MordEth »

Nice find. At $100, I’m sure someone will want it.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

Gramophone Record Player — $100 (West Round Rock)

Reply to: sale-zye2g-1108074786@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-04-05, 11:17AM CDT

I’m selling this His Masters Voice (HMV) Model 104 record player/gramophone. It is a stained oak cabinet in good condition. It is from 1925-1931 best I can tell from my research. The crank motor needs some work. It spins after winding but when you put the tone arm down it slows. The board that holds the tone arm has some screw holes and could probably stand to be replaced. Comes with many needles and a 78 of the Starlighters doing “Yes We Have No Bananas” on the Mercury Label. I have had it since 1975 and its time someone put it into use.
  • It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests.

Image Image

Craigslist PostingID: 1108074786
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

If I recall, this machine has the same motor as a 103 which (if correct) is bad news! It is a very small single spring motor used in the portables. A lot of collectors also prefer the "modern" styling of the 130 / 150 with flat lids and more "Deco" appeal. The old Victrola style lid was a bit long in the tooth when this was made.

Still, the soundbox, if in good condition, is worth as much as the machine!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Austin is pretty close so I think I'm gonna go for this one. Thanks for the heads up!

Steve

txhog
Victor Jr

Post by txhog »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 071wt_1161

Has this 104 got the weak motor? I wouldnt mind a wind up small record player and looking at maybe bid on this one.

It dosnt have records with sale but seem easier to find that Edison diamond disks.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

txhog wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 071wt_1161

Has this 104 got the weak motor? I wouldnt mind a wind up small record player and looking at maybe bid on this one.

It dosnt have records with sale but seem easier to find that Edison diamond disks.

The HMV 104 came with a single spring motor -- http://www.windupgram.co.uk/104.htm ; which was the same type used on the HMV portables. This means that a full winding would be enough to play about one side of a 12 inch 78, or about 1-½ to 2 sides of a standard 10 inch record. In other words, you'd have to wind it every time you play a record.

The larger 130, which had a flat lid and larger cabinet & horn, came with a two spring motor--the type used on the smaller cabinet models. That would play about three 10 inch records before rewinding.

In terms of sound quality, the HMV 104 is very good--more like a small electric gramophone than an acoustic one. So I guess it boils down to how often you want to wind your gramophone.

If the price is good, I'd, personally, go for it.

OF

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I bought that machine back in April 2009. However, the motor was really weak, it had some cabinet issues, and I ran out of room... so it went out to the local auction where it sold on Labor Day.