Oh the Humanity!!!!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Re: Oh the Humanity!!!!!!

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

Brinybay
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal." - Dimitri Martin

Re: Oh the Humanity!!!!!!

Post by Brinybay »

Ortho_Fan wrote:I remember that color was very popular during the 1970s when I worked at a place that sold home decorations. It was generally referred to as "antique avocado," which I dubbed "puke green." There was a trend during that time for bored housewives (and some bored househusbands) to ruin Victrolas as well as sideboards, chests, dressers, fireplace mantles, babies cribs--anything they could slap a coat of paint over. (Damn "Ladies Home Journal" !)

Probably would be a good project fixer-upper. At lease they didn't paint over the decal. Possibly, most of the paint will come off with a Scotch Scrubber Sponge soaked in Simple Green. I'd re-do the sound box gaskets, too. That gap between the ends of the front gasket would probably let in a lot of air.
I was thinking the same thing, that it looked like somebody used one of those "antique-ing kits" that were popular in the 70s.

On the positive side, the cabinet structure appears to be sound (no pun). It doesn't appear to be "frankenized" with an unmatching motor as far as I can tell. But someone would have their work cut out for them removing all that 70s-era crap.