talk about butchery in the parting out of machines...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

talk about butchery in the parting out of machines...

Post by brianu »

this seller, among other things, appears partial to dealing in credenzas, and often enough breaking them up and parting them out... although I've never seen him take it this far before, where he's actually breaking apart and selling pieces of the empty cabinet... pieces, mind you. the first one I think is the best.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-ORTHOPHONIC- ... 51905ab5b3

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-ORTHOPHONIC- ... 51905ab366

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-ORTHOPHONIC- ... 51905ab74f
Attachments
!BgZkwdw!2k~$(KGrHqIOKkQEr)WFjiJfBLFH5gYI9w~~_3.jpg
!BgZg(Yw!mk~$(KGrHqUOKjMErzSTSQEZBLFHprwlLQ~~_3.jpg
!BgZ6UIgBGk~$(KGrHqIH-E!EsLfG5-PWBLFJLE,Mcw~~_3.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: talk about butchery in the parting out of machines...

Post by Jerry B. »

I would not encourage dismantling an early Victrola for the parts common to a horn machine. Also, I would not take apart a working machine because I thought I could get more from selling individual parts. But.... I don't have a problem selling parts from a junker or parts machine. If all of us saved incomplete machines waiting for original parts, we'd never complete much of anything. For example, a few year ago I went to an estate sale with a lot of phonographs. I bought a apple box of cylinders, a large brass bell Victor horn, an Edison Gem, and a incomplete Vic II. As I was loading my car, a friend said "Jerry, I saw you do something that I never thought you'd do". I asked what he meant? He questioned why I would buy such a crummy Vic II. The cabinet was missing some of the corner posts, it had part of the base missing and was poorly filled and repaired and was missing the horn and elbow. I bought it for the parts because, in my opinion, it was not worth the effort to search for missing parts, repair, and refinish. If I had gone to great effort, I still would have a machine that I would not be pleased to own. I sold all the parts and they sold quickly. (The truth is they nearly brought back enough to pay for most of the other purchases!) I would like to think that they helped complete a more worthy Vic II. The machine on ebay looks like a junker to me. I hope there is someone out there that needs some of those pieces.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

I hope these pieces go to a good home, but I can't imagine who would need the SIDE to a Credenza. If you had a cabinet in such bad shape that it was missing an entire side, or the entire side needed replacing, wouldn't you just part out the machine yourself? On the other hand, if I was clever enough to replace a side on a Credenza, I would most likely be clever enough to repair the original part rather than replace it.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

bbphonoguy wrote:I hope these pieces go to a good home, but I can't imagine who would need the SIDE to a Credenza. If you had a cabinet in such bad shape that it was missing an entire side, or the entire side needed replacing, wouldn't you just part out the machine yourself? On the other hand, if I was clever enough to replace a side on a Credenza, I would most likely be clever enough to repair the original part rather than replace it.
that was basically what I was trying to get at.