Credenza no.8062-dating my new Ortho & soundbox rebuild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dennman6
Victor I

Credenza no.8062-dating my new Ortho & soundbox rebuild

Post by dennman6 »

Hello all-

Got a nice Credenza, 4-door, spring motor, serial number 8062. Am wondering how to date this machine?(Please don't suggest seeing my etchings & madeira, my dear). I figure it could be end of 1925, but that's supposing that both 2-door & 4-door models were offered by year's end. It does seem to be a fairly low serial number. I have a 1997 edition of Baumbach's "Look for the Dog", but there's nothing specific in the production figures to give me any hints.

Also, the pot-metal soundbox I'm sure will need a rebuild, as it sounds OK with soft-tone needles & acoustic records, but "rings" a little with electric records. Which is the point of having this machine, to hear Orthophonic & Viva-Tonal records as they were heard in their prime. Any experiences out there of results from rebuilt pot-metal soundboxes vs. a brass one(if found)? There are two vendors I've contacted so far that don't handle the Orthophonic soundboxes, & another vendor that is selling a brass one for upwards of $400-yikes!

AND-yes, the motor needs a regreasing as it thumps some while playing. But it's a complete machine, bought from a friend in Viginia for $300 & hauled back here to Indianapolis. As is it provides probably 70% of the vintage performance I am looking forward to hearing, but I do want to get the proper maintanence done right for this old girl.

Dennis Forkel
Attachments
9.JPG
8.JPG
5.JPG
3b.JPG
2b.JPG
1a.JPG

schweg
Victor III

Re: Credenza no.8062-dating my new Ortho & soundbox rebuild

Post by schweg »

http://www.victor-victrola.com/8-1.htm

This narrows it down a bit.
Steve

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

You might want to check to see if the original manufacturer's paper label is still attached to the bottom of the cabinet. (If you have a hand mirror, this will help.) The label would have the production date.

OF

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Probably middle to 3rd quarter of 1926- the turntable has been shifted to the right but you don't have the padded record holders to the left.

dennman6
Victor I

Post by dennman6 »

I want to thank the folks who responded to my questions, it was a help to me.

Dennis Forkel