Featured Phonograph № 48

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Featured Phonograph № 48

Post by Valecnik »

Make: Edison
Model: A150
Serial # 1062
Year(s) Made: 1912-1914
Original Cost: $150
Case/Cabinet Size: 46" x 20.5" x 20.5" tall
Turntable/Mandrel: 12" diameter
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Edison Standard
Motor: 1-spring
Horn Dimensions: Grain-painted metal; 15.5" x 10"
Reproduction Parts: None
Current Value: $350?
Interesting Facts: No volume control in the horn. Reproducer has an early volume control built into the neck. Serial number stamped on the metal tag, back of the inside of the cabinet and on the bedplate underneath the turntable.

Favorite Characteristics: Industrial looking motor, wood grained horn, crank, crank escutcheon, speed control, stop lever, reproducer and elbow all oxidized finish.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQV7C2CYFVg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaOi6dTQ6TA[/youtube]
Attachments
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_5579.JPG
IMG_5582.JPG
Note serial number atamped, near cabinet number, same as on the bedplate under the turntable and on the SN tag.
Note serial number atamped, near cabinet number, same as on the bedplate under the turntable and on the SN tag.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: Featured Phonograph № 48

Post by bbphonoguy »

A very nice looking machine. I was hoping the videos would show how the volume control works, since I'm not familiar with the volume control in the neck.

Are machines like this hard to come by in the Czech Republic?

Steve Stephens
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Restoration is little more than another kind of destruction.

Post by Steve Stephens »

I like your machine Valecnik even if it's a LONG way from home in New Jersey. Having just received my Edison Diamond Disc book a few days ago I am learning about these machines.

I particularly like the nice quarter sawn oak cabinet on yours and, also, the quality looking cabinet construction. I'm surprised that Edison did the grain painting on the horn or did this machine never have a grill cloth? In that case it looks really nice. Thank you for your post and great photos.

Steve

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Bruce,

You KNOW that you'll get compliments from me on almost any A-series Edison Disc Phonograph! That's a beauty. Got to love oxidized bronze! Thanks for posting it.

George P.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Gotta love that oak! So much nicer than boring old mahogany. Thanks for posting this Bruce.

Steve

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Here's the earlier post that shows the volume control in the reproducer from a Mahogany A-150.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=3294

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Thanks all for the nice comments!
bbphonoguy wrote:A very nice looking machine. I was hoping the videos would show how the volume control works, since I'm not familiar with the volume control in the neck.

Are machines like this hard to come by in the Czech Republic?
bphonoguy,

Schweg’s pictures show the volume control a little more close up. Also if you click on the closeup picture of the bedplate here, you can see a pretty close view of that volume control knob. Someone I think posted a pic awhile back showing the how the volume control looks inside the tube of the reproducer. It’s just a thick piece of felt on a rod, like a damper on a stove pipe. It’s so thick that even when fully open it surely must obstruct the sound to some extent.

The machine was actually purchased several years ago in Wisconsin, in my collection in Minnesota since then and only moved to Czech in the past year. I’m happy to have it here!
Steve Stephens wrote: I'm surprised that Edison did the grain painting on the horn or did this machine never have a grill cloth? In that case it looks really nice. Thank you for your post and great photos.

Steve
Steve, as far as I know all the A series had wood grained horns. This one appears to have had a grill cloth but I don’t think all of the A series had grill cloth.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Drat, I thought the pics I posted of the link to were the ones showing the closeups of the volume control on the inside of the arm. Sorry, didn't mean to put those others in there! The closeups must be in another post somewhere. I will take a look.

Steve

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Just ran across this on e-bay. Nice clear shot of the volume control. That really must impede the sound more than the later mute ball!
eBay Item #200435440147

Steve Stephens
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Restoration is little more than another kind of destruction.

Post by Steve Stephens »

The felt piece inside the neck of the reproducer takes up fully a third of the tube even when open. It might be interesting to compare that reproducer's sound and volume with a later (is it later?) reproducer without the tone control.

Steve