Check out this variation...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Check out this variation...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I got a kick out of this one. Wonder if the radio even works. I am not sure if this is a shame or a neat attempt to mix the two machines. Just thought I would share anyway! :D

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/for/1249416285.html

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/for/1249416285.html

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Check out this variation...

Post by MordEth »

Victor-Victrola VV-IX - $175 (Mansfield, Ohio)

Date: 2009-07-01, 7:08PM EDT
Reply to: sale-pfced-1249416285@craigslist.org

This is a mahogany Victrola, needs some tender loving care. Has 12-inch turtable, records and radio included. VV-IX. This model was the “enclosed” model (known as a “Victrola” rather than just “Victor”) with the sound horn under the turntable and spring mechanism. This model plays both 10 and 12 inch records. To adjust the volume, the front doors can be opened or closed to suite the ambient noise in the room. Along with the adjustment for record speed, this model includes a brake to hold the table while the record is being changed. The spring must be wound for each record played.
  • It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests.

Image Image
Image Image

Craigslist PostingID: 1249416285
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Looks like some interesting period handywork. I wonder if it works and how/what is used as the speaker. In my Brunswick Radiola phono/radio combo unit there was a switch to use the same horn as the "speaker" between the phono and the radio.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Orthosean -

By the way did you ever get the radio working on your BR-260?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It seems this kind of work could be done back in the day :)
Attachments
victoradio2.jpg
victoradio2.jpg (219.87 KiB) Viewed 3014 times

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Wow! Thought this was a home made combo. So if this was originally made this way or installed during that period of time, is this a good buy? It's definitely interesting if it's original but what do you think for the price? May be worth it just to have it to learn from. :)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Personally, I don't think the price is high at all, but then in Australia, we're used to paying that sort of money for a decent portable.
Still, I think a Victor table model with a matching record cabinet would have to be worth $175 wouldn't it? - even without the radio??

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Ok then! I emailed the person and am going to try to pick me up tomorrow! If I get it I will post some pics on this thread and am excited to see how the radio portion is integrated. :geek:

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I don't think that Victor did this conversion, but probably some local radio shop. It appears that it uses one of the aftermarket base cabinets sold to hold a VV-IX table model. That's a decent price for one of these, with or without the radio.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

phonophan79 wrote:Looks like some interesting period handywork. I wonder if it works and how/what is used as the speaker. In my Brunswick Radiola phono/radio combo unit there was a switch to use the same horn as the "speaker" between the phono and the radio.
Here is a BR-260 on craigslist for $175. Although it doesn't appear the radio is working on this unit, this was a great machine still. I love the Ultona reproducer. :-)

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/1290527492.html