VV-35 Spring?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Shane
Victor II

VV-35 Spring?

Post by Shane »

I just purchased a VV-35 portable today. It's in decent shape, and I'm now in the process of restoring it. I took the spring out, and found some things I wasn't quite expecting to see. First off, the "spring" was some tiny weird homemade thing that will soon be heading for the trash.

Second, the spring barrel is something I haven't encountered before. The inside attachment is the typical victor "L shape" end. However, the lid of the spring barrel has a bar of sorts hanging down, evidently to meet with the outside end of the spring. What kind of end to a spring fits this thing? It's a new one on me.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Re: VV-35 Spring?

Post by SonnyPhono »

I fixed the spring on a VV-35. It was probably the worst idea I have ever had regarding the repair of a phonograph. A very long story short, I removed the spring which had broken about an inch from the end that attaches to the spindle. After trying everything possible to fix it, I ended up trying the nearly impossible. I turned the entire spring up-side-down. I attached the end of the spring that normally is on the outside of the spring barrel to the spindle. Then, I slowly began to coil the spring around the spindle bending the spring opposite of it's original curve. For those who think they have packed the toughest of springs, I would be willing to bet this one had more tension by double. It took 20 minutes to repack the spring. I do not recommend this technique to anyone!! Even with gloves on my fingers had several small cuts and my forearms were sore for at least a week after. At one point near the end of the ordeal, the end of the spring that would normally attach to the spindle began to split down the middle as I tried to re-curve it into place. :shock:

When it was all said and done, I can't imagine the pressure inside that little barrel. Here is the amazing part. There was so much energy from reversing the entire curve of the spring and loading it backwards, that it only took 4 to 6 cranks to play a record! Anyway, I don't recommend that as it was more of an experiment than anything and was really dangerous.

The tab in your picture fits into a small loop on the outside of the spring. The end of the spring is folded over towards the outside of the barrel with enough gap to catch on the tab protruding from the barrel lid. (If that makes sense.) Looking at your picture it looks like the spring has a section folded over at the end, but it looks to be quite a bit longer than the original. I think the fold is about a half inch if I remember correctly.

The inside end that attached to the spindle has two right angles. Here is an amazingly clear and professional drawing of what I have tried to explain!

I hope this has helped a little. Although it is probably more confusing than it was helpful! :D

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Wow, I had never even thought about reversing a spring like that. Ouch. I can't believe you got that to actually work!

Thanks for the info, and the drawing. I'm about to try to order a spring for this tomorrow, so this will help me to know what I'm looking for.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

This is an HMV spring, but it should be the same I think.
Attachments
spring end 007.JPG
spring end 008.JPG

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Hmmm. That spring looks very similar to what I've seen in some machines (I think Edison Diamond Disc machines, but I'm not sure). Thanks for the photos.