Vic III variation

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Steve Stephens
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Restoration is little more than another kind of destruction.

Vic III variation

Post by Steve Stephens »

I saw today what I don't think I have ever seen. A Vic III with corner posts that are plain, flat angles of oak and not the footed and capped fluted columns like I've always seen before. Did some Vic IIIs came that way? The latch for opening the motor board was the later style that you have to push DOWN instead IN.

The machine in question looked like an old original other than having a nickeled petaled horn. The finish appeared original and old on the oak and the corners matched the rest of the case finish exactly. The case's bottom molding is like the earlier style as used up through the Type B as shown in the Victor Data Book. But that type still appears to have the earlier style motor board latch that pushes IN.

I'm always intrigued in the minor differences among various models and Types and this sure caught my eye. I didn't get the serial number.

Steve

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Vic III variation

Post by Jerry B. »

There are differences between Vic III corner columns but I don't believe there are any plain or smooth sided ones. The early Vic III has three piece columns while the late III has more massive columns cut out of a single piece of oak. Both the early and late columns were fluted. Jerry Blais

Steve Stephens
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Restoration is little more than another kind of destruction.

Re: Vic III variation

Post by Steve Stephens »

What you say Jerry is my observations also. I may be able to get some photos of the Vic III I saw yesterday. It is fore sale for $1100 if anyone is interested.

The best the owner could read the serial number it is 68957. That seems too high and the machine does not have the late style molding on the base

Steve