Any advice on a model M ?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Any advice on a model M ?

Post by Jerry B. »

Looks like a repro crank to me also. An original slotted Victor crank has a little bend to it. A Berliner Trademark crank is straight like the one in the photo. Jerry

Steve Stephens
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Restoration is little more than another kind of destruction.

Post by Steve Stephens »

Edisone wrote:Crank looks exactly the same as on my MS and Vic I ... can't tell about the turntable ... $700 would be a nice price ... more like $1000 with the right soundbox
Wouldn't a Monarch have a cast iron turntable? The one in the photo looks a bit thick and could be pressed steel?

Steve

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

As it turns out, I have seen this machine in person.

I didn't spend too much time with it but this what I saw:

1. The horn is in much worse condition than it shows in these pictures. It would not be repairable in my opinion.
2. The reproducer is definitely some off-brand reproducer. Would need to be replaced.
3. The finish is rough (worse in person than pictures - also shows 5-6 0.5-1" blemishes that are likely bird crap that stained the finish. Not shown in those pictures.
4. The turntable appeared original as well as original felt. I'm not a Victor expert though.
5. Crank appeared to be a reproduction.
6. Motor played strong.
7. Original horn elbow.

I passed on the machine and likely could have gotten it for less than asking price. I still passed. It could be a candidate for restoration. I would have bought it but I don't need any more projects at this time.

I am not certain I would waste the money to ship the horn (would require a separate box). I'd use that money to help buy a replacement horn.

I talked to the seller about shipping the machine safely. He seemed to have a clue what to do but if you buy it I would provide instructions again. He seems like a really nice and honest guy.

Good luck!
Scott

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Thanks for all the input fellas. After listening to you all I guess I'll give the seller a lowball offer, and if he wants more then I'll pass (sigh). It would've been my first exposed horn machine too. :(

You're right about the seller Scott. I've talked to him a few times and he's always been patient and helpful.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Don't be too disappointed if you don't get it. It's always better to put your money into the better quality stuff.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan