Things Maybe I Should Have Kept

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Talkophone
Victor II

Things Maybe I Should Have Kept

Post by Talkophone »

Most of the time it doesn't bother me to get rid of something but this item I wished I would have kept. Show me some of items you have sold and maybe think you should of kept. Nice advertising piece it lights up.

Larry
Victor Needle Display.jpg

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Things Maybe I Should Have Kept

Post by brianu »

interesting thread topic...
Attachments
MVC-069X.JPG
MVC-105X.JPG
475.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Sorry, no photos but a great story... About twenty years ago at a CAPS sale I was at my table when an older fellow asked if I was interested in buying a reproducer. I asked what he had and he handed my an Auxetophone reproducer. He was asking $100 and when I offered $75, he politely declined and stated that the next guy would buy it. I relented and gave him a hundred dollar bill. I enjoyed owning the reproducer for about six months before I read an Auxetophone parts wanted ad in the MAPS newsletter. I responded to the ad and remember the delight in the voice at the other end of the phone when I said I had a reproducer. He offered me $500 for my $100 investment and now it was my turn to give a delighted "OK!". Fifteen years later and a little smarter..., I received a phone call from a friend offering me a completely empty Auxetophone cabinet. I bought it and began rounding up the various Victor parts. I called Paul Baker and bought his last blower assembly and asked if he had a reproducer. He said he had an extra and asked if I remembered selling him one many years prior. I remembered and asked how much it would cost to buy it back. He asked if I was sitting down because the price was $2,000. I wish I had saved my $100 reproducer but was very happy to pay $2000 to complete my machine. You either laugh or cry and I chose to laugh. Happy Collecting, Jerry Blais

Steve Stephens
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Restoration is little more than another kind of destruction.

Post by Steve Stephens »

No photos here either and another reproducer story. A big collector in the SF bay area c.1970 GAVE me a Victor No.10 gold reproducer. Actually it was his son who gave it to me along with the purchase of a Victor III which I still have. I don't know why he just gave it, free, to me but was happy to have it. Didn't even know what I had but knew it was rare since I had never seen another one. Serial #335 I think it was. I sold it for many times my investment around 15 years ago; maybe $150 or a little more. I sure would love to have that reproducer today. But then I would have to find a nice Victor 6 to put it on. Sole my Vic. 6 also way back when.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Well on the assumption that space was not an issue I would have kept alot more, even machines that were not particularly rare or desireable but still attractive or in very good condition. I also regret selling some stuff years back without even taking any good pictures or recording interesting facts, serial numbers etcetera.

Some of the things maybe I should have kept include:
- Large gothic Pathé actuelle, electric, heavily carved woodwork, sold for ~$600 or so
- Gothic victrola with original key, (at least I know the current owner)
- Showroom condition Edison Wiliam & Mary Council with flawless original grillcloth
- Almost mint mahogany A150 diamond disc, only one I've ever seen with casters
- A250 early with louvres in the sides
- Vic 6 w paper mache horn, serial no. 600,
- Orthophonic Credenza

Sadly the vic 6 is the only one I took pictures of. Now that's dumb. Fortunately at least some of these thins I've been able to replace with the same model in equally good or better condition :monkey:

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Lots of things I should have kept, but for various reasons didn't. I will try and load some photos here of things I have them of and list ones I don't.

The ones that got away without photos and model numbers for that matter, since it was never a big deal to me:

Columbia Viva Tonal 810.
Pathé Buffet style Console.
Sonora American Walnut, carved wooded tone arm, 12 record counter dial, bombe style.
Edisons
William and Mary Console
Sheraton Inlaid Mahogany
William and Mary Upright
Chalet table model in Pear Wood

RCA worlds fair radio 1939.

Lots of Walnut and Oak Victor Uprights.

Really can't even remember many things that got away over the long years of collecting, but these are some that at times I wish I had back.
Attachments
Great sounding Silvertone table model.
Great sounding Silvertone table model.
Early Credenza, brass reproducer.
Early Credenza, brass reproducer.
Louis XV walnut.
Louis XV walnut.
sc0035232b.jpg (217.67 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Victor I, purchased 1904 by my great grandfather.  Brunswick console which had fine sound.
Victor I, purchased 1904 by my great grandfather. Brunswick console which had fine sound.

wheelgun357
Victor O

Post by wheelgun357 »

Heres a few machines i really should have kept but at least took pics of em, funny though that 3 of the machines i ended up selling to Brianu a long time ago.....
Attachments
an edison fireside with 2/4 min and horns.... he got the cabinet and all the cyllinders too.... i should have definately kept that one
an edison fireside with 2/4 min and horns.... he got the cabinet and all the cyllinders too.... i should have definately kept that one
IM003811.JPG (71.93 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
a 4-40 ortho which sounded killer, Brianu got that one too :(
a 4-40 ortho which sounded killer, Brianu got that one too :(
IM003793.JPG (101.22 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
a really nice consolette 4-3
a really nice consolette 4-3
IM003788.JPG (102.23 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

wheelgun357 wrote:Heres a few machines i really should have kept but at least took pics of em, funny though that 3 of the machines i ended up selling to Brianu a long time ago.....
Well that's the good side of letting them go. In at least one case too a member of this forum has a machine I probably should have kept. At least it went to a good home!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Ouch Larryh, you sold gramdpa's Vic I. I wish you'd sold it to me so I could sell it back. Jerry

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Post by Schmaltz »

Had a Columbia BN with a wooden horn for a while when I was a kid, in sad shape but it played well after I rebuilt the reproducer and replaced & lubed the springs. To prepare for a move, I let it go for less than $100. Didn't hurt then, but... yeah, maybe I should have hung on to that one.
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.