Things Maybe I Should Have Kept

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Re: Things Maybe I Should Have Kept

Post by larryh »

Jerry B. wrote:Ouch Larryh, you sold gramdpa's Vic I. I wish you'd sold it to me so I could sell it back. Jerry

For the sake of nostalgia I would like to have kept it. But having always enjoyed listening to machines more than having them, the size of the motor and horn were just to limiting for my taste. The cool thing was though that I can still remember my grandfather telling me that his dad had dated the machine under the turntable when he brought it home from the dealer. The old home was next door to their home and the machine was up in the attic. No one ever really brought it down or took any interest in it. When I got them to let me bring it downstairs, sure enough when I took the little turn table off, there was the pencil written date just like it was done yesterday. I think it was Nov. 3 1904, but could be off on a day or so. In the basement of the same old home was the chippendale C 250 he had replaced the victor with. I was only about three or so when I first saw it down in that gloomy stone, dirt floor basement. By the time I got a bit older it have been sold or thrown out, I never could figure where it exactly went. They said they threw it in the ditch, which they had a huge one near the barn, but I spent a lot of time looking at that area and never saw it. They must have sold or given it to some one.

Larry

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Things Maybe I Should Have Kept

Post by brianu »

wheelgun357 wrote:Heres a few machines i really should have kept but at least took pics of em, funny though that 3 of the machines i ended up selling to Brianu a long time ago.....

ha... so that's who you are. sadly, those machines have departed (all to good places, mind you, actually people met through these boards). I'll particularly miss the 4-3. I still do have the cylinder player horn, however, that you sold me with that fireside. I noticed your post in the other thread re. your interest in a few machines - I actually have a VE-8-35 that I'm probably going to let go, and I know of two people who have schuberts for sale (one of them posts regularly on this board).