Edison Diaphragm Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Edison Diaphragm Question

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Is this diaphragm ( in a Model C reproducer) an Edison product or is it a reproduction from the 1970's? The only diaphragms I have ever seen...other than this one....are the familiar ones with more corrugations. They're usually more oxidized as well. This isn't the shell it came in, by the way. I slapped it in this one just to protect it. It came with a reproducer that I bought about 25 years ago, and I've always been suspicious. Any thoughts O Wise Ones???

Jim
Attachments
DSC03477.JPG

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Edison Diaphragm Question

Post by larryh »

All I know is that Ron Dethlefson told me that when the diamond disc diaphragms as they had been produced were no longer cost effective to make after the production had stopped, that they produced a copper version. I have never seen one and don't know what they looked like, but they were offered to repair people as replacements if needed for disc machines into the 30's. Maybe that is what this is? He also said the sound quality was nothing like the original..

Larry

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Edison Diaphragm Question

Post by Brad »

Below are a couple of pictures of a copper DD diaphragm. Construction appears similar to yours.

I had posted about this on the previous board and basically learned that they were available either late in the era of production or after production ceased. No-one knew if Edison or some other concern produced them. I find the output from this repro to be a little lower in volume than the traditional rice paper and cork diaphragms.
Attachments
Picture 016.jpg
Picture 025.jpg
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?