O/T Any Clock Collectors Here?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
wheelgun357
Victor O

O/T Any Clock Collectors Here?

Post by wheelgun357 »

Im just wondering if theres any clock or watch collectors here. i'd hate to be the only one....

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: O/T Any Clock Collectors Here?

Post by gramophoneshane »

I collect both, but like my gramophone collection it's mostly low-end stuff.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I have a couple of 3 weight vienna regulators, one pictured here.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=3&t=3540

and a two weighter sort of black forest style.

I had a few more but sold them off over the years and just kept the best three.

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

I've always been fascinated by clocks and watches, and have several of the latter. My prizes are a 1929 Patek Phillipe with a gold case, and a 1798 fusee with a double silver case. Both are family items; the key winder was bought by my great(x4) grandfather in Cardiff, shortly before he emigrated to America.

Nat

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

I'm a record changer collector, so I was quite familiar with the Garrard brand of English record products. But I didn't know until a few years ago that the same company also made very nice clocks in the 1930s. (This Garrard, with factories in Swindon, is not to be confused with the British crown jewellers of the same name who sold Swiss-made clocks and watches at a later date.) So I have collected several examples of those, particularly the triple-train chiming and striking models. They are extremely well made pendulum works and perform very nicely, keeping very good time. My favorite ones are the less common newer ones that are triple-chime varieties with your choice of one of three chime sequences, the popular Westminster (4-note sequences), and the also very common Whittington (8-note). But these Garrard clocks are the only ones on which I've heard the very odd Winchester 6-note chime. The German movements that are now common on modern tall case (grandfather) clocks include the first two, but substitute the St. Michael instead of the Winchester tune. I guess you can find the Winchester only on English clocks. And old ones, at that.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Well, this is bad, my dad was a watchmaker and repaired clocks as well-I have nearly 200 pocket watches, 65 or so wristwatches-no Rolex-my dad fixed and sold them but he always told stores about "Rolex time" and I never got one. I have grandfather clocks, regulators and my favorite-ship clocks that chime the bells rather than the hours. I used to go to flee markets and such as well as watch and clock shows and buy them broken and he would fix them for me. But that stopped about 8 years ago, he is 90 now and developed a touch of Parkenson's disease and his hands shake. On the wristwatch side I had developed a collection of watches starting with the Omega SpeedMaster and ending with IWC depicting all the models of watches that went into space. Its a neat collection and gave most of it to my son who is a pilot. I however kept 3 models of Speedmasters -they are just really neat time pieces.
Does this mean that we are just hooked on anything that has a spring.....?
Abe

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I collect a lot of things, but when it comes to clocks and watches, I just don't have the time :D :D :D :D

(Sorry, it was just too easy)
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Brad wrote:I collect a lot of things, but when it comes to clocks and watches, I just don't have the time :D :D :D :D

(Sorry, it was just too easy)
:shock: Oh Brad!

Actually, that's just the type of humor I like. Anyways... I like antique clocks, but the only noteworthy ones I have are my eight-day Seth Thomas from the 1860's, and a cuckoo clock from the same time period. Once in a while I'll find a little item for sale that I'll get if it's cheap enough, and if I have an actual use for it.

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

I thought typewriters would be a fun thing to collect. They are really old, mechanical, look cool, don't take up much room, are cheap, and easy to ship. One could have a showcase full of them, a showcase with glass doors to keep dust off. Big chunky ones start at $50 plus shipping but smaller ones are cheaper. And there must be collectors out there since rare ones go for hundreds.

tonystardis
Victor O

Post by tonystardis »

wheelgun357 wrote:Im just wondering if theres any clock or watch collectors here. i'd hate to be the only one....
How bout vacuum cleaners am I the only one with that obsession?I have at least a half dozen vintage ones that work plus plenty more for parts. A 1964 typewriter that types in script and several hundred 16mm films. Actually I do have a few antique clocks,one could be considered higher end and the rest are just cool old stuff. Anything mechanical is fair game especially if it is an appliance,phonos included.