Victrola Ownership Tips/Advise/Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

Re: Victrola Ownership Tips/Advise/Questions

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

1. Yep, it isn't fully wound. I've been talking to George (Victrola -Doctor) and he says it's a broken main spring. That accounts for the fact that it goes "click click click" and that it is unable to finish a 12" record.

Does it hurt it to use it like that? I mean...it's obviously not good that it broke, but can I still play it from time to time until I send it off for repair? Or will the extra stress eventually break the other three?

2. I try to play just Victor/Victrola records, with a Columbia or such from time to time.

3. In most cases, yup.

4. I change it every time

5.Sound box - reproducer? If so, what does that have to do with it not playing? All it does is pickup the record vibrations and turn it into music, correct?

6. Tone arm swings freely.
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

SignatureSeriesOwner wrote:
5.Sound box - reproducer? If so, what does that have to do with it not playing? All it does is pickup the record vibrations and turn it into music, correct?
As you probably know, the record groove used for Victor, Columbia, and all of the other lateral type 78s is basically a zig-zag. The movement of the record causes the needle and needle bar to move back and forth. That, in turn, moves the diaphragm back and forth in a corresponding manner.

If there is resistance to this movement, caused by a too-stiff or frozen diaphragm, or a frozen needle-bar pivot, or by too hard gaskets--which would restrict the back and forth movement of the diaphragm, itself--then, instead of tracking the record groove, the needle will scour the groove. This can cause the turntable to slow down, as well as ruin the record.

HTH,
OF

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II

Yes.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I could see that making an impact.

Does it damage the motor to operate it with a damaged mainspring? Is doing so overstressing the other three? I obviously intend on having it fixed, but...until then..

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Hi Sig,

No, it shouldn't be detrimental to run with a broken spring. Usually when a spring is broken, you can't get enough tension to play much of anything.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can replace the spring yourself. There is no great mystery to it, but there are some definite "got to knows". A replacement spring should only run you about $25-$50.

If you want to take on servicing and repair yourself (many of us do) I would recommend that you obtain a copy of "The Compleat Talking Machine". It will de-mystify many many things and show you how to make most common repairs. There are also video's and articles on the board and internet. Shane did a very nice video that really shows what is involved: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69

Cleaning a lubricating a motor is easy as well.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II

To be honest with you, rebuilding the motor on this particular model is something I'll leave to the pro's. Mainly, because this is a fairly collectable, and valuable model, and, because it looks practically flawless. If this was a beat up VV-80 or something, sure, I'd give it a shot. This one is too nice for me to screw up. I restore old radios from 1930-1950, never touched a phonograph before.

Well, I did take apart the turntable in a 1929 Grigsby-Grunow Majestic 233 to try and see why the turntable was frozen (electric model) and nothing changed when I put it back together.

What's the average cost of a motor rebuild? George quoted me $150 for disassembly, lube, checking, and reassembling. It will go up from there, depending.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

You are wise to not do much if you don't have a bit of experience. What you can do is to look for the oiling diagram (most are pasted near the motor) and apply a drop of oil or a bit of vaseline where indicated. Don't use WD-40 for lubrication, although a touch of it is useful if you've got a hardened lump of grease that causes trouble- but be sure to wipe everything clean afterwards.

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II

Gotcha. Would 3-N-1 oil do the trick?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

yes, don't use too much or it just drips and makes a mess.