Cylinder storage box

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Cylinder storage box

Post by gramophoneshane »

I picked up this box with a few cylinders on Ebay & was wondering if anyone might have one the same.
I'm just curious as to whether it might be American or Australian made, and if anyone knows what brand it could be (if made in USA).

It holds 18 cylinders, has a wooden base to the interior and the pegs are rolled cardboard. The inner sides are lined with paper & the outside is a type of rexine with a slight swirling pattern to it.
The lid was missing unfortunately, but Im in the process of making one now.

This is the first one of these boxes I've seen before, so I'm also wondering if the lids on these sorts of storage boxes are usually plain, or did they sometimes have the underside graphed off to write cylinder titles on? (seeing as the pegs have no caps for titles)
Attachments
Interior.
Interior.
Exterior with 1 ½ Doz written in chalk?? Could this have been from shop use? I'm not sure why someone would write the amount of cylinders at home.
Exterior with 1 ½ Doz written in chalk?? Could this have been from shop use? I'm not sure why someone would write the amount of cylinders at home.
Purple leather look paper on base.
Purple leather look paper on base.
Rolled cardboard pegs countersunk into wood base.
Rolled cardboard pegs countersunk into wood base.

Aaron
Victor II

Re: Cylinder storage box

Post by Aaron »

Shane,

Thats a very nice looking box, i always liked these boxes as a way to display and store cylinders.

In the USA i know many differnt companys made these. The Columbia Graphone Company, Hawthorn & Sheble, and many other "Off Brand" companys. Im not sure if edison sold them other then through H&S. I have even seen many home made ones that are VERY well made. Its hard to say,though, what company made this particular one. Most all boxes i have seen are always black in color, ofter then a few off brands that are brown.

You also mentioned a "Cylinder List". Yes, most boxes that were produced by large companys had a list of some sort. They would either appear on the outside of the box,on one of the sorter side, or under the lid. Sometime the carboard tubes would be marked with numbers that corisponded with the lists, but its not umcomon to have no numbers at all. I'll see if i have a picture of a list that you could possible print and apply to your lid.

As for the writing on the side, its anyones guess. On a box of cylinders i have, the top of the box says "Second Best" written faintly in pencil. And the purple color on the bottom is also strange. It could possible be an under layer under the black color, and being the bottom the black just wore off.

Hope this helps!,
Aaron

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

Shane,

I've got a couple of variants. I will try and post pics on the weekend.

Mario

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That would be awesome thanks Mario.