Cheney Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Live4themusic

Cheney Gramophone

Post by Live4themusic »

I may buy an antique Cheney gramophone. I think it's in good working order but I don't know that much about them.
If it doesn't play the record all the way through without slowing down... would you need to wind it more or what would be wrong with the machine and would it be hard to fix it? I really love it. Does anyone know much about them?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Cheney Gramophone

Post by estott »

Here's a bit of information:
http://www.gracyk.com/cheney.shtml

Cheney machines have some odd features but are very well built- they used lots of solid brass instead of cheap pot metal castings. The cabinets tend to be big and a bit clunky but are very well built. With a proper restoration they can play well. It's possible that the machine has a dirty motor, or possibly a weak spring that needs replacing. I can't really tell you much more without seeing a picture but if it's in decent shape and you can get it for a price in the low hundreds it should be worth having the work done. This also depends on how much you like the machine- don't buy it as an investment, buy it for pleasure.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

It would seem the Cheney should easily play though a record. Its possible the grease is hard preventing a full unwinding. Its also possible someone cut part off if it ever broke years ago. I had a nice Cheney many years ago. I liked the design, they have an odd horn that was touted as improving the tone due to its stair stepped shape as it gets larger. I never could figure what advantage such odd design could impart, if any thing it would seem to break up the continuous sound pattern, but maybe they knew something we don't? As mentioned I wouldn't go way out money wise to pick one up as they are on the lower end of popularity I would guess. Still its a neat machine and well constructed as mentioned. If I recall I had difficulty in adjusting the reproducer, but that was way back before any shared knowledge was readily available such as today.

Put up a photo should you get it.

Larry

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

One of our members picked up a Cheney last year, you can see pictures in this thread: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... lit=cheney

You can also see images from a Cheney catalog here:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ney#p12988

Maybe you can recognize the machine you saw from the pictures.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Cheney claimed that their stepped tone arm and horn improved sound quality but it was a method of avoiding Victor's tapered tone arm patents.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The term 'Gramophone' with a capital 'G' refers specifically to record players produced by the Berliner Gramophone Co. and it's branches. In Britain, the term 'gramophone' with a small 'g' is used to refer to any record player. The point being, Cheney didn't produce Gramophones. The produced phonographs (with a small 'p' -- a capital 'P' would indicate a record player produced by Edison).
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

JohnM wrote:The term 'Gramophone' with a capital 'G' refers specifically to record players produced by the Berliner Gramophone Co. and it's branches. In Britain, the term 'gramophone' with a small 'g' is used to refer to any record player. The point being, Cheney didn't produce Gramophones. The produced phonographs (with a small 'p' -- a capital 'P' would indicate a record player produced by Edison).
to be technically correct, Cheney produced Talking Machines- that public term term was frequently used by many smaller companies.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Just out of curiosity, is the Cheney you're thinking of buying an upright or a console? I'm asking because I think Cheney uprights are among the more attractive of the cabinets used by "off" brands.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

estott wrote:
JohnM wrote:The term 'Gramophone' with a capital 'G' refers specifically to record players produced by the Berliner Gramophone Co. and it's branches. In Britain, the term 'gramophone' with a small 'g' is used to refer to any record player. The point being, Cheney didn't produce Gramophones. The produced phonographs (with a small 'p' -- a capital 'P' would indicate a record player produced by Edison).
to be technically correct, Cheney produced Talking Machines- that public term term was frequently used by many smaller companies.
wouldn't the term 'talking machine' have been dated by ca. 1919 for general public usage?
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Technically, phonographs play cylinders & gramophones play discs with the exception of the "Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph" :)
I think America is the only place on the planet that calls a disc gramophone a "phonograph. :monkey: :o