Once Again...Is This Original Paint?!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Once Again...Is This Original Paint?!

Post by SonnyPhono »

Obviously I have seen this style of finish on Victrolas and even some Columbias. I don't recall ever seeing a Diamond Disc model with this style cabinet before. I can't imagine this being an aftermarket addition. Has anyone seen any of these?

martinola
Victor III

Re: Once Again...Is This Original Paint?!

Post by martinola »

Hi Sonny!

The paint-job looks pretty old. From what I can see in the photo, it looks nicely done. I've never read of the Edison factory supplying them this way, but they did make custom one-offs, so who knows? There certainly were dealers at the time that would customize machines for the high-end customers. (It looks pretty cool. I'd give it a home even if it wasn't original.)

Martin

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

I agree Martin. The paint looks period, but it's tough to tell from the photo. Maybe it was done by an aftermarket company back then. But it would also make sense IMO that Edison might offer such a finish as Victor did as well as Columbia. This is probably a dumb question, but what exactly is a one-off?

I agree with you that I wouldn't mind giving it a home regardless of the originality of the paint. I think the style of this phonograph, (I'm assuming a C-250?) fits that decor better than the Victrolas and Columbias I have seen. The design of the cabinet has more of an oriental feel which the paint job completes the overall theme nicely.

It is coming up at an auction if anyone is interested. It isn't close to me and I am not in a position at the moment to add anything to my collection so let me know if anyone would like more info.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Some of those Edison Consoles have very limited painting on the grills so its possible that something might have been offered as a custom finish, but it would seem that if it were from the company some notice of it would show up in the catalogs and I don't think I recall seeing anything thing? But yes I like it too. I agree the paint job is older at least, and most likely from the time period.

Larry

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

That is very nice work and appropriate to a Chinese Chippendale cabinet. Beautiful! And a refreshing touch on a commonly-encountered model! I concur it is the work of an aftermarket customizer. Artists advertised in Talking Machine World so that dealers could farm this work out. Back in the 1970's, I was aware of a beautifully customized Diamond Disc Phonograph in an Egyptian Revival cabinet with golden sphinx heads on the corner tops, hand painted hieroglyphics in the frieze area and stylized lotus (loti?) on the front and side panels. It was jaw-dropping -- very well executed. I surmise it was probably dolled up around the time of the discovery of King Tut's tomb. It had the cabinet proportions of a C-19.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Looks wonderful to me. Any chance of a photo under the lid? I'm a buyer if it's for sale. Thanks, Jerry

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Sonny,
What I meant by the term "one-off" was that it was a single custom piece from the factory. I think of it as a shortened version of "the only one off of the assembly line". I've heard it used here and there over the years, but honestly, I'm only guessing at its origin. (By the way: do you have the machine in your living room yet?) :mrgreen: Thanks for posting the photo!

Martin

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Nope, I don't have it in my living room yet! I wasn't planning on buying it, but the more I look at it the more I want it and regret not being able to add it to my collection. \

Jerry, I went ahead and emailed for more pictures including some of the underside of the lid, the turntable, one of each side, inside the record storage, as well as the top of the lid. I also inquired about any knowledge they may have of it's history and where it came from originally as well as whether or not it is in working condition as there isn't a crank shown in the photo. So I will post those pictures when I get them and will include all of the other details. Like I said, I would LOVE to have this one because IMO it is more attractive than the Victrola and Columbia phonographs of the same style finish. But since I can't at the moment, I will do everything I can so someone on this forum can try to buy it.

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Here are a few more pictures I was able to get. I know that if a factory finish was applied to a Victrola, the decal was always present over the paint. In this case, I don't see the Edison decal. Does that confirm a professional job from a dealer or could this still be done by the factory?

The reproducer needs plenty of work, but at least the other adapter is present. Anyway, any other thoughts on this one?

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Sweet!