O/T: Change of Youtube account!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
txhog
Victor Jr

Re: O/T: Change of Youtube account!

Post by txhog »

Those new vids are great, love the sad look you do when the music is playing :)

If you wanted you could do an vid of how a machine works/plays like a Edison cylinder player, plus that box record style one you have, maybe show the motor and bits on it, as youtube has very little vids on how they work or how to use.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Sorry, about that. I'm not sad, just listening.

That's a good idea!

Paul

txhog
Victor Jr

Post by txhog »

Those new tutorials showing Edisons cylinder and the Victrola one are really good 8-)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Just curious Paul, but why do you remove the horn & flip the carriage back when you change the cylinder :?

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Too keep from hitting the horn against the wall. Also, it's just a habit I got into.

Paul

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

BTW: In my demo, on the cylinder records. I was holding the cylinder incorrectly. I was holding them on the edge, instead of through the center, with my fingers spread apart.

txhog
Victor Jr

Post by txhog »

gramophoneshane wrote:Just curious Paul, but why do you remove the horn & flip the carriage back when you change the cylinder :?
I do that as well, but since you brought it up looked at my Edison and see you can leave it in place and slide cylinder on off and on easy enough. I think I started pulling carriage all the way back so as not to accidently scrape cylinder on anything.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Yeah, there's really no reason to flip the carriage over. There's plenty of clearence between the mandrel & carriage/reproducer to prevent the cylinder scraping on anything. You'd probably have to break the cylinder on the mandrel to make it touch anything.
Some models, like my Gem, have a bar at the back of the carriage which prevent the carriage from being lifted more than about an inch (see picture below), and on the internal horn Amberolas like my Amberola 30, the carriage cant be lifted at all. Only the reproducer weight & stylus are raised and lowered by a lever, and the clearence between the mandrel & stylus is exactly the same on all models.
Attachments
gem 004.JPG