which model columbia is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
USlakeside
Victor III

which model columbia is this?

Post by USlakeside »

Ive had this for a long time and it seems rather ambiguous for a columbia. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Attachments
columbia_graphophone.JPG.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: which model columbia is this?

Post by gramophoneshane »

Are you sure it's genuine?
I recognize the back bracket, tonearm, soundbox & handle as Columbia, but not much else.
The peacock horn is European, but I've never seen one that screws into the horn elbow of a Columbia before, so I'm guessing someone either altered the horn or the elbow.
I cant say I've seen a Columbia with the brake &/or speed control at the side either. They were usually on the front of the cabinet, although I am more used to seeing the UK models rather than the US machines. The cabinet looks a bit plain for a Columbia too, but then it could be by another company that Columbia supplied the parts for?
Hopefully someone will know for sure.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

I am very confident its all original. I have seen these machines marketed as the Royal, but with a tag on the front. Columbia did manufacture the peacock style horn stateside.

phonocookie
Victor I

Post by phonocookie »

Hi that machine is a Royal. I have one just like it. Same horn same everything. I belive they were sold buy sears. Jerry

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I heard that Columbia had a load of European style parts that were intended for export machines, and they were stuck with them when WWI started. The "Columbia Europa" machines with the steel and papier mache cases are some of them, the peacock feather horns might be more.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Does the peacock horn screw into the elbow?

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

yes, it screws in

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

USlakeside wrote:I am very confident its all original. I have seen these machines marketed as the Royal, but with a tag on the front. Columbia did manufacture the peacock style horn stateside.
Actually, those stamped horns were imported from Germany by Columbia in the years immediately before we entered Great War, as were many of the "Pillar and Plate" motors used in some Royal, Woman's League, and cheap Columbia Graphophone andGrafonola machines. Columbia also imported at least two complete machines, an embossed tin cased outside horn machine with the big embossed horn, and a similar inside horn machine. These supplies were cut off as the British blockade of Germany tightened through 1915. The losses were not terribly missed, for as supplies tightened Columbia began building its own pillar and plate motors for its Marvel and Grafonola Model 15 machines, and discontinued manyn of the client makes and all of the open horn machines.