Not Too Shabby For A Reproducer!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: Not Too Shabby For A Reproducer!

Post by bbphonoguy »

Thanks for the reply. Now, I can't imagine spending 5K+ for a reproducer! Sure it's rare and all, but I would've bought 3 or 4 really nice machines (or one Vernis Martin Victrola) for that kind of money! I guess it must've gone to someone with a pretty complete collection (not to mention a fat wallet!).

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

That's indeed a wonderful piece, but I agree with the price which is more than just lofty. Does the link goes through the lower diaphragm and connects the upper one too or is the upper diaphragm just for sealing purposes?

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

There is only one diaphragm. One horn is driven by one side of that diaphragm, and the second horn is driven by the other side. Same as the Kalamazoo Duplex. Which produces sound which is out of phase when both horns are aimed the same direction. Which is pretty crappy sounding, actually. It's the same effect you get from your stereo speakers when one is wired out of phase with the other. No bass with a hollow midrangey sound. Definitely a bad idea. Aside from it's collectible value, it's functionally pretty useless. I wouldn't walk across the street to hear one of these things.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Thanks, Greg for clarification. It does indeed seems to be practically useless.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I think one of the schemes for this was to put the machine in the middle of an exhibition hall and point the horns in different directions- Edison also made a Y shaped connector for the purpose. Still, it's a lot of mechanism for limited effect.

Don

Post by Don »

Does anyone have a picture of a machine using this reproducer complete with horns?

Don

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Okay, it's time for the official unveiling:

Yes, I'm the 'fat wallet' collector who ended up with it, except that my wallet really isn't all that fat -- I sold a few things to pay for this. It was a sacrifice I was more than willing to make.

It was indeed a lot for a reproducer but it's all a question of perspective. Personally, I'd rather buy one rare attachment than several common machines. I have too many machines as it is, so today my collecting focus is on upgrading, not acquiring. A Duplex is a major upgrade and is absolutely perfect for my early (serial number 1456) Edison Home, which is in as pristine condition as this reproducer. They're made for each other.

It's an extremely interesting piece, even if the science behind it was as flawed as that behind the Polyphone. And at $9 in 1897, it could not have been very popular.

I've been collecting phonographs for 49 years and in all that time I have never had a chance to buy one. The only one I've ever even heard of coming on the market sold for $5000 a few years ago -- to a dealer -- before I even had a chance at it. So frankly, I thought this eBay one went a bit cheap, especially given the flawless condition (it really is breathtakingly perfect). I know I was willing to pay more....

Between us, George Paul and I know of only five survivors. This is a tough piece to find. I'd rather have one Duplex than a dozen Standards.

Your mileage may differ, but then again it's a good thing we don't all have the exact same collecting focus or this hobby would be way too narrow!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Awesome! Congratulations!

$9 would have been about $275 back then, right?
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

It looks great, Rene!

...But I still think it would have looked better on MY Edison Home...! :lol:

Congratulations - -

George P.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

You know, it doesn't look half bad on a Class M, either. ;)