Considering this HMV tabletop. Any advise?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Paal1994
Victor II

Considering this HMV tabletop. Any advise?

Post by Paal1994 »

Hi everyone,

I was browsing to finn.no today, a Norwegian version of Craiglists. And I came over what seems to be a very nice HMV 104. I've already sent a e-mail to the seller about it and asking for more pictures.
I think this guy is a collector as he has several phonographs for sale. And I wonder if any of you guys have something to say about this machine? And some packing instructions (Last time I bought one from this web page, another guy, he just put it in a cardboard box and wrapped some paper around it, I think the sound box suffered for that.)

Oh, and he wants 1900 Norwegian Kroner, or $ 320 for it. Is that expensive?

Paal.
Attachments
51_-952309141.jpg
51_-952309141.jpg (49.15 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

bart1927
Victor II

Re: Considering this HMV tabletop. Any advise?

Post by bart1927 »

Paal1994 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was browsing to finn.no today, a Norwegian version of Craiglists. And I came over what seems to be a very nice HMV 104. I've already sent a e-mail to the seller about it and asking for more pictures.
I think this guy is a collector as he has several phonographs for sale. And I wonder if any of you guys have something to say about this machine? And some packing instructions (Last time I bought one from this web page, another guy, he just put it in a cardboard box and wrapped some paper around it, I think the sound box suffered for that.)

Oh, and he wants 1900 Norwegian Kroner, or $ 320 for it. Is that expensive?

Paal.
If it is expensive depends on the country you're living in. In the UK HMV machines are a lot cheaper than anywhere else in Europe, so a British collector will probably say that it's way too expensive.

I don't know anything about the availability of HMV machines in Norway, but if it is anything like the situation in The Netherlands I would think that 1900 Kroner (or $ 320, or 240 Euro's) is a bit expensive. Maybe if it was an HMV 130, it's bigger brother, but for a 104 it's a bit pricey. Of course it also depends on the condition. Is the original grille cloth still present, is the veneer in good condition, and how is the soundbox? I believe a 104 should have a HMV 4A soundbox. Unfortunately they all have potmetal backs, so they are very hard to take apart if you want to rebuild them. So check if the reproducer is in good condition. Also, pay attention to the motor. If it slows down during playback and you hear all kinds of disturbing bumps, it means that the 80 year old graphite grease is still present. In that case the motor and the spring need to be cleaned and re-greased again. Hope this helps.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Bart,

Thanks a lot for the answer! :D

Come to think of it, I would say the price is pretty reasonable, at least here in Norway. These don't pop up often. Mostly 101's that come for sale here.
The seller has sent me some more pictures now, and it looks to be in very good condition. It plays ⅔ record sides, and I should say that's about the best you can get from a small single spring motor. The soundbox is also in excellent condition. I think I'm gonna go for this! ;)

Paal.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Paal1994 wrote: It plays ⅔ record sides, and I should say that's about the best you can get from a small single spring motor.
I saw an HMV 104 in a shop several years ago, and the seller demonstrated it for me. I remember that she gave it a near full winding and it played one side of a 12 inch (classical) record. That was about on-par with the HMV 102 I used to own--about five-six minutes on a full winding.

If the one you saw only plays two-thirds of a standard size (10 inch) record on a full winding, I'd guess that the spring is about due for replacement, or the motor needs a thorough cleaning and lubrication.

BTW, there was an earlier post on this forum about the HMV-104 -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... &view=next

OF

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I agree with OF. If the seller is a collector, I'd assume he's regreased the spring, so you may be for a new one. The spring may have broken at sometime and been shortened.
Even a single spring motor should easily get through a 10" side in good condition without slowing down.
My HMV 88, 97 & 3 x 101's are all single spring & play fine.
If you could get $50 off the price to cover the cost of a new spring being sent, it's probably a fair price for a 104 in that condition. They usually sell between $300 & $400 out here on ebay.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

I think Paal1994 doesn't mean two-thirds of a side, I think he means between 2 and 3 sides, which is a good performance considering it's a single spring motor.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I'm not so sure. None of my single spring HMV's would play 2-3 sides. Only my big no.32 double spring motors are capable of that.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Well, my HMV 101 can play 2 sides on a single wind (of a 10" record, that is). After being cleaned and regreased completely, that is. Three sides is too much for the little fellow.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

I'm sorry! I should have been more clear. Bart is right, I ment two to three record sides. But I would guess it plays about two.

Paal.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

bart1927 wrote:Well, my HMV 101 can play 2 sides on a single wind (of a 10" record, that is). After being cleaned and regreased completely, that is. Three sides is too much for the little fellow.
The carpet beetle 101?