Need Columbia motor brushes

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AllWoundUp
Victor I

Need Columbia motor brushes

Post by AllWoundUp »

Hi everybody! I have a Columbia model P-20 Queen Anne Period Grafonola with the electric motor. It works but I think it would work better with new brushes in the motor. Anybody know a source for them?

Thanks & here's some pics:

Motor.JPG
PICT1433.JPG
PICT1433.JPG (69.89 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
P-20a.JPG
P-20B.JPG

wjw
Victor II

Re: Need Columbia motor brushes

Post by wjw »

Cool contraption there! Can't see the end with the brushes in the pics, but I have played with a couple of Victor universal motors in which the brushes are lightly spring-loaded and it's easy to see how much "travel" they have left in them. If yours are still making this spring-loaded contact with the commutator, you don't need brushes. If you need to replace them, take one to an electric motor repair shop and match-up the best you can. Then it's a matter of sawing and filing to size. Then you wrap the commutator with fine sandpaper (not emery cloth) and grind the tips to shape.All this is predicated on the brushes being rectangular bars of carbon as in the Victor universal motor ;) For maintenance, wipe the commutator with kerosene,
or naptha to clean the carbon off it. No alcohol here! If the commutator is pitted or ridged badly, you need to carefully polish it with fine sandpaper, finishing with very fine sandpaper. The shinier it is the less carbon will be deposited on it, less sparking, etc.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

I haven't looked for a few years, but Home Despot had a good selection of carbon brushes.

AllWoundUp
Victor I

Post by AllWoundUp »

WJW, thanks for the tips, I think I finally got the motor running right! the brushes (which are rectangular bars) were plenty long enough, they were just not making good contact. I wrapped the commutator with sandpaper and ground them to fit. Then polished the commutator till it was nice and shiny, cleaned everything really good, put it all back together and after lots of fiddling with the governor bearings I can finally put the needle down on the record without it grinding to a halt!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I wonder if the brushes from a Columbia Dictaphone would be the same?

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Allwoundup, I'm happy to hear it's running! I'm curious- (assuming it has the feature) does the start-stop actuated by the tonearm work?

AllWoundUp
Victor I

Post by AllWoundUp »

"does the start-stop actuated by the tonearm work?"

Yes it does, though the stop only kicks in when the tonearm gets very close to the label so most records never trip it. I could adjust it but then some records would be stopped before they are done.

It also has a switch inside the cabinet so it will only play when the flip-down door in front of the horn is open.

martin_esq
Victor Jr

Post by martin_esq »

Hi AllWoundUp - did you ever find a source for replacement brushes? I have a motor with a similar problem and I think replacement brushes might help.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I had my Columbia electric motor rebuilt by:

Biedler's Electric Motor Repair
194 Hack Wilson Way
Martinsburg, WV 25401

Ask for Philip.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Phono-Phan wrote:I had my Columbia electric motor rebuilt by:

Biedler's Electric Motor Repair
194 Hack Wilson Way
Martinsburg, WV 25401

Ask for Philip.
I’ve dealt with these people before when looking for machine parts for something at work, and I second them. Solid, knowledgeable, competent people.