E. Berliner Grammophon Doll

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Starkton
Victor IV

E. Berliner Grammophon Doll

Post by Starkton »

When I found the 1894 Berliner Grammophon doll,including its 3" record, in a small German museum I thought it was the only one of its kind. Maybe I was wrong:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-GRAMOPHONE-24- ... 4a9f41f6a1

Aaron
Victor II

Re: E. Berliner Grammophon Doll

Post by Aaron »

Very Amazing! From what i understand, there are only a few of these, and the only one i have ever seen was in one of George Paul's books... He should be of some more help.

Aaron

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Aaron wrote:Very Amazing! From what i understand, there are only a few of these, and the only one i have ever seen was in one of George Paul's books... He should be of some more help.

Aaron
Yes, I was responsible for the gramophone doll in George Paul's book. Some years back I found the doll and initiated its restoration by a professional conservator. The doll was manufactured by the gramophone factory of Kämmer & Co. in Waltershausen, Thuringia. I will include the story of the doll in an ongoing article about "E. Berliners Grammophon" in Germany in "The Sound Box". Look out for the 1st part in the June issue.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

What a find! I wonder how difficult the records are to come by? Did the doll in George Paul's book have any records with it?

It's nice that she's donating a part of the proceeds to the Shriners Hospital. Does anyone know what this would actually be worth?

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

bbphonoguy wrote:What a find! I wonder how difficult the records are to come by? Did the doll in George Paul's book have any records with it?

It's nice that she's donating a part of the proceeds to the Shriners Hospital. Does anyone know what this would actually be worth?
I found a 3" record: "Kommt ein Vogel geflogen" together with the doll which is also pictured in the Paul/Fabrizio book.
This is not only a rare gramophone doll, but a near unique Kämmer & Reinhardt doll!! It could have made double or triple that price. If I only had some money to spare ...

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Starkton,

I just said the same thing to my wife - - "If we were loaded, I'd buy that Berliner doll right now!" Gosh, isn't it amazing that a second one of these turned up?

Thanks for posting this, Starkton - -

George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well, this is odd. The Buy It Now price was $25,000 earlier this evening. Now the starting bid is listed as $18,000, and the Buy It Now is listed as $50,0000 - - but bidding has ended.

I can understand the bidding having ended (at the $25k BIN), but not the changed dollar amounts.

George P.

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

yes George, i just noticed the same...Very strange...

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

(nerd alert :ugeek: )

Each ebay listing has a revisions tab where you can see what items were changed and when. Here it is for this listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0499480225

Here is a cut and paste of the info for posterity.

The seller has revised the following item information:
Date Time Revised Information
Mar-09-10 13:02:44 PST

Title

Mar-09-10 13:16:16 PST

Title
Description

Mar-09-10 15:24:37 PST

See Description
Reserve Price
Buy It Now Price

Mar-09-10 15:41:10 PST

See Description
Description
Reserve Price
Buy It Now Price
Minimum Bid Price
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?