Back bracket question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

Back bracket question

Post by Zeppy »

Picked up an extra back bracket for my Vic 1 today, because it appeared to be in better shape than the one I had, but when I brought it home, I was a touch confused. The two were dramaticall different. My original bracket had a much simpler, but finer pattern. The new one was a more intricate pattern, but not as fine. The new one also had a smooth finish to the black paint, but my old one almost looked alligatored (it had some texture to it). Any ideas?

Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Back bracket question

Post by Zeppy »

Well, that certainly frustrating. Double bad ebay phonograph purchase week for me...wrong cast iron turn table for the Victor M, and a bum backbracket for the Victor 1. At least I didn't pay much for it. I suppose I now need to decide what to do with it. Do I correct it, and put it on the 1 or do I leave the faded, but original. I guess either way, I should correct the much up, whether I use it or not, so info and pics on Greg Cline's work would be appreciated.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Back bracket question

Post by Uncle Vanya »

You might try carefully polishing up your old bracket with a bit of denatured alcohol on a piece of cotton muslin.

much of your original striping appears to be present. The striping was coated with a heavy layer of shellac, which often alligators and

becomes opaque, obscuring the striping. Try rubbing the bracket with a bit of cloth just barely dampened with shellac and see what you find.