OT - Manly slang of the 19th Century

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

OT - Manly slang of the 19th Century

Post by JohnM »

Thought the board might enjoy this since it is in regards to a time period which interests us all. I wonder if any of these are found on early recordings?

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/03/10/ma ... th-century
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: OT - Manly slang of the 19th Century

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's actually quite an interesting site John, & I'm sure at least some of them must have made it into recordings in the Victorian/Edwardian era.
I know Gilbert & Sullivan used quite a bit of slang in their works, but that slang may have varied greatly between USA & UK.
I did notice that the site has listed- Saucebox... A pert young person, in low life also signifies the mouth.
I've got a couple discs recorded in UK by Wish Wynne, & these are a bit like Eliza Dolittle telling the stories of Cinderella & Red Riding Hood to her little brothers & sisters.
In one of them, she calls a little girl a "sauce cat", so I'm guessing that's the UK variation of Saucebox.

Here's part 1 of Red Riding Hood if anyone wants a listen. Excuse the excessive camera movement. It was one of my first youtube videos before I started using a tripod.
Thanks again for the link John. I'll be printing out the list & keeping an ear open for any of the terms in early comic songs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN49-ILIIYU[/youtube]

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Interesting topic. I remember hearing (older) people using the phrase "month of Sundays" when I was a kid. As the language continues to change, there are a lot of phrases that we hear on older records that won't make any sense to a younger generation. "You're just as sweet as Huyler's" comes to mind (the candy company name was pronounced "high-lerz" back then). I'm sure there are many more examples.

I had been thinking that the term "sauce box" meant something like "wise guy" or "smart a**". I only heard the term used in an old episode of the British comedy "Are You Being Served?" Sounds like the cockney variant was the "sauce cat" we hear on Shane's record (fun stuff there, thanks for the link!) Of course, once we get into Cockney English, we enter another realm again. If you've ever seen the Austin Powers comedy films, there is a dialogue segment where they break into "English - English" to mask their randy escapades from the tender ears of the American girls nearby. To my American ears, yeah it was in English, but I scarcely understood it without subtitles.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Thanks John! It was interesting enough that I had to show my "gunpowder"!! :lol:

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

That slang term "all overish" sounded familiar, and I had to brainstorm for a few seconds to remember Fess Williams's chatter using it in "I'm Feelin' Devilish".

Here's John R.T. Davies' mid-80s transfer of this recording, which I've transferred from vinyl:

I'm Feelin' Devilish (originally Victor V-38131; 59760-2; NY, 4/18/30)
Last edited by beaumonde on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

The expression " the tune the old cow died on ( not of) " was a very common one in the rural southern Ontario of my youth. I haven't thought of it in years, but I've had the expression applied...ahem...to my humble self when I was taking beginner's violin lessons as a young adult in university. It was a singularly appropriate description of my abilities, actually.
;)
Jim
Last edited by Lenoirstreetguy on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Very interesting list in the link. My grandmother used the expressions "Honor bright" and "A month of Sundays". Like all my ancestors here, she was a life-long Southerner born and bred, and we know that archaic language and customs have endured down there longer than elsewhere.

I don't recognize any of the expressions on the list as occurring in the G&S operettas that I'm most familiar with, but Gilbert certainly used a lot of very witty and clever language in those works.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Kirkwood wrote:If you've ever seen the Austin Powers comedy films, there is a dialogue segment where they break into "English - English" to mask their randy escapades from the tender ears of the American girls nearby. To my American ears, yeah it was in English, but I scarcely understood it without subtitles.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pTXi9Z2AYA[/youtube]

I can't imagine British people actually talk like this, but it is funny.

txhog
Victor Jr

Post by txhog »

SonnyPhono wrote:Thanks John! It was interesting enough that I had to show my "gunpowder"!! :lol:
Does ya Gunpowder know ya a Rusty Gut, you old Crab!