Victor Orthophonic Credenza Dashpots Issue

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Victor Orthophonic Credenza Dashpots Issue

Post by pellicano1 »

Hey all. Having an issue with the dashpot lifts on the Credenza. I decided to restore these bewcause the lid was closing fast and slamming shut. Even set to slowest setting.

After a complete rebuild per a great YouTube video, now the air pressure is not releasing on either one. The lid wont close and stays half open. Even after adjusting the air pressure valves! Any suggestions?

Link: https://www.facebook.com/steve.pellican ... 120190803/
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: Victor Orthophonic Credenza Dashpots Issue

Post by ChuckA »

If anyone has interest.

I posted the Victor Service Bulletin for repairing the Orthophonic type air lid supports on my WEB page:

http://www.myvintagetv.com/manuals_and_documents.htm

I couldn't easily find a place on the forum to put it. If someone wants to grab the file and put it here
be my guest.

Chuck

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

pellicano1 wrote:...After a complete rebuild per a great YouTube video, now the air pressure is not releasing on either one. The lid wont close and stays half open. Even after adjusting the air pressure valves! Any suggestions?...
The first thing I'd do is to make sure of is that the tiny air vent hole is not clogged.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (25.56 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Try inserting a pin or small nail into it to ensure that nothing is obstructing the air-flow. You may also have to carefully tweak the adjustment knob at the bottom of the tube.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ChuckA wrote:...I couldn't easily find a place on the forum to put it. If someone wants to grab the file and put it here
be my guest.
Chuck
Hi Chuck -- Here's a downloadable copy of the Lid Support Service PDF file:
VictorLidSupport.pdf
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 82 times

HTH,
OrthoFan

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

ChuckA wrote:If anyone has interest.

I posted the Victor Service Bulletin for repairing the Orthophonic type air lid supports on my WEB page:

http://www.myvintagetv.com/manuals_and_documents.htm

I couldn't easily find a place on the forum to put it. If someone wants to grab the file and put it here
be my guest.

Chuck
Thank you!!!
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

OrthoFan wrote:
pellicano1 wrote:...After a complete rebuild per a great YouTube video, now the air pressure is not releasing on either one. The lid wont close and stays half open. Even after adjusting the air pressure valves! Any suggestions?...
The first thing I'd do is to make sure of is that the tiny air vent hole is not clogged.
Capture.JPG
Try inserting a pin or small nail into it to ensure that nothing is obstructing the air-flow. You may also have to carefully tweak the adjustment knob at the bottom of the tube.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ChuckA wrote:...I couldn't easily find a place on the forum to put it. If someone wants to grab the file and put it here
be my guest.
Chuck
Thanks for the info!! I figured it out!! I think I used too much oil. Pumped all the oil out while installed and adjusted the valves. It works like new again!! Thanks!!!!
Hi Chuck -- Here's a downloadable copy of the Lid Support Service PDF file:
VictorLidSupport.pdf

HTH,
OrthoFan
Thomas A. Edison