This is a great deal for the right person!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

This is a great deal for the right person!

Post by JohnM »

"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: This is a great deal for the right person!

Post by phonophan79 »

What is it?
Attachments
craigslist ad.jpg
craigslist ad.jpg (125.78 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

Looks like a Victor 10-50, first mass marketed phono with an automatic changer. Appears the lift pad has disintegrated or may be missing (it might be in the picture laying there loose, not sure. And the magazine arm isn't there but hopefully it's amongst the rubble also. The 10-50 has about ten pot metal parts in the changer that are usually broken and/or disintegrating. I was able to scrounge up some reproduction replacements still available from various sources to get my 10-50's changer working again, it was a real challenge but well worth it.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

When this was new it was a fairly over-the-top luxury item, and when it became outdated the family still wanted to keep somewhere other than just trashing it, so why, WHY the chicken coop!!??!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I've encountered items kept in active chicken barns and believe me you do NOT want this. Even if it hasn't fallen apart the case is wrecked- the ammonia smell of the chicken waste will soak into the wood and you can't get it out, it's as bad as rodent urine. The atmosphere will corrode metal- especially brass- and if the crap remains on a surface it eats into it.

I knew a man who rescued a reed organ from a chicken barn- he got it to work but had to sand and varnish every wood surface, even inside the works.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Oh come on Eric! Surely you can think of at least one person you would want to have this one! ;) :lol:
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan