The most rotten phonograph I've ever seen

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: The most rotten phonograph I've ever seen

Post by Steve »

This " takes the cake" but it rang a bell with me and I dug through my old copies of the Hillandale News ( City of London Phonograph and Gramophone Society journal) and in the December 1977 issue a collector named Mark Field wrote and article called From Scrap to Fireside. He bought the bedplate and not much else for two pounds from a scrap metal dealer and proceeded to restore the machine to its former glory.You can see the process in the illustrations. The rigamarole he went through to get the gears to run smoothly would curl one's hair. He is a machinist, of course, but even so! And the re-enameling process was like a spiritual exercise.
So there really are no completely lost causes. Sort of.
Jim, are you sure that wasn't MIKE Field? Just wondering, as I know him and this is very typical of his work. If you gave him a washer from an Edison Opera, he'd make the rest of the machine to wrap around it! As well as being one of the CLPGS best kept secrets over the years, he's also a local man to me.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Steve wrote:
Jim, are you sure that wasn't MIKE Field? Just wondering, as I know him and this is very typical of his work. If you gave him a washer from an Edison Opera, he'd make the rest of the machine to wrap around it! As well as being one of the CLPGS best kept secrets over the years, he's also a local man to me.
YES YES it IS he! I need my bifocals changed or something. So you know him!! This article is utterly extraordinary. The only other one who goes to this level is Wyatt Markus on this side of the Atlantic.

Jim

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

There are many others besides Wyatt who can "raise the dead". Paul Baker, David Teti, Steve Farmer, and Dwayne Wyatt easily come to mind and I apologize to others not included.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan