Victrola 330 replacement parts question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Ampico66
Victor I

Victrola 330 replacement parts question

Post by Ampico66 »

The Victrola 330 I have is missing the horn and motor board, as well as everything else associated with the phonograph component of the cabinet. The good news is that the cabinet is in remarkable condition and will be great to have complete. I can make a handyman repair and build a motor board to mount the tonearm and motor to, but would of course rather have original Victor parts.

The dimensions for the motor board are 15 & ½ inches by 18 & ¾ inches. I'm curious about the size of other 1921 - 1925 acoustic Victor consoles' motorboards. If I could find another Victor lowboy and knew the parts would fit, I'd buy it.

I also need the dimensions of cranks for similar machines so I can find the right one on Ebay. It should be about 14 inches long, I think.

The horn I will need to have custom-made and will attach it to the cast iron base of a Victor XIV horn that I already have.
Attachments
A photo of the Victrola 330
A photo of the Victrola 330
Victrola 330.JPG (464.18 KiB) Viewed 2084 times

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Victrola 330 replacement parts question

Post by Uncle Vanya »

As I recall, any of the horns from VV-300, VV-260, VV-220 and the "Semi-Art-Case" consoles, VV-400, 405 and 410 will fit, as will the "Western Electric" straight Orthophonic horns as used in the early Consolette, Colony and Granada machines. The horns used in some of the "large horn" uprights of 1924 vintage will fit, but these machines are so scarce that it is unlikely a donor would turn up.

A crank salvaged from a Granada, a VV-300, a VV-220, a VV-400, a VV-405 or a VV-410 machine will fit your 330. As will, I believe, a crank from an Orthophonic Victrola 4-40.

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Ive got a 4-3 Consolette cabinet in the garage thats in poor shape. I wonder if that horn would work for you? Id have to take a look at it, and get the serial number to see what version it is.

Jim

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Victor78 wrote:Ive got a 4-3 Consolette cabinet in the garage thats in poor shape. I wonder if that horn would work for you? Id have to take a look at it, and get the serial number to see what version it is.

Jim
Now, whilst the Consolette horn will FIT, it is not correct for the earier machine, though it would result in a phonograph with greatly improved reproduction.

I suspect Victor at one point considered using the Western Electric horn to re-work its remaining stock of expensive cabinet machines, rather in the same manner as did The Gramophone Company, but the firm found that the Half-price sale of the summer of 1925 was so successful in clearing stock that this was unnecessary. :rose:

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

There is an incomplete VV-330 for sale here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 858wt_1167

It should at least supply you with the proper horn.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

AND I don't think it's too far from where Ampico lives!

Good Luck!