Silvertone Restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Silvertone Restoration

Post by antique1973 »

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here on the forum. This is a Silvertone I got on Craigslist. The wood is in good shape, but it had/has issues. So far I replaced the lid hinge, reattached the lid prop, repaired broken swivel mount for the tone arm,
and installed (temporary) non-original style grill fabric. The reproducer mica seems ok, but the gaskets were totally dried out. Next step, I am going to ultrasonically clean the mica and reassemble with new gasket material. The mainspring was pretty shot so I am having it replaced with a new one (hence the missing motor board in the pics). I am still pretty new to this game so I figure I will pay a little extra to have it done right. The springs are tricky as I discovered from articles on the net. Anyways, once I get it up and running I will post more pics.

One question, does anyone know an affordable nickel plating service? There is some pitting on the reproducer and a spot on the platter
that is rusted through. I used crumpled aluminum foil with good results on most of it. Thanks!
Attachments
P3220044.JPG
P3220043.JPG
P3220045.JPG

schweg
Victor III

Re: Silvertone Restoration

Post by schweg »

I'm not sure of the cost of re-plating but with patience, you'll likely find parts on Ebay to replace the ones you aren't happy with right now.

Steve

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I wouldn't bother with ebay. George Vollema has a wealth of parts and he sells at reasonable prices. He can be reached at victrola@triton.net

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Thanks for the info guys. Actually George installed a new spring in the motor and I should have it back
shortly. Can't wait to hear the results of my first ever reproducer overhaul. Hopefully it works ok.

Now I am focused on two garage sale acquisitions: a Victrola VV XVI and a offbrand Starr. I will
post some pics and info on these when I get the chance. Too much fun! : )