Dreams about antique phonographs and records!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Dreams about antique phonographs and records!

Post by Curt A »

This is a dream that I try to re-create in reality, with no luck...
I'm driving down a road that I have never been on, looking for antique shops. I spot what I think is one and stop to look around. After browsing for a few moments I realize that this is just some second hand junk store loaded with garage sale leftovers... nothing of interest. I need to use the restroom and upon leaving, I spot an interesting looking cabinet that I had missed. I noticed a strange looking reproducer on top, so it piqued my interest enough to examine it further, thinking it was some no name phono cabinet. To my surprise, it turned out to be an Auxetophone priced at $130 and was in a booth having a 20% off sale... :shock:

The reason I am trying to re-create this dream, is that it is a true story that happened a few years ago to a local collector in Greensboro, NC...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

I had this dream recently where I was running away from a very nasty dog and found refuge in an old house. Went into a large room and closed the door. All the furnishings were present and I thought the place must be lived in. I could spot a floor model phonograph in one corner and wanted to check it out....but I had to keep pushing against the door to prevent the dog from getting in and couldn't make my way to the phonograph. Very frustrating.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I had a dream that I lost my Columbia Q at somebody’s house the other day. I woke up thinking “Thank goodness!”

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I had a dream that I lost my Columbia Q at somebody’s house the other day. I woke up thinking “Thank goodness!”

Feel free to come leave it at my house :lol: :lol:

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

I had an example only last night. In the dream I was attending some kind of lecture in a church or synagogue hall (probably the latter as I am a Jew); the main event of the evening was over, I think, and I was one of a small group of people who had lingered to chat afterwards. Eventually somebody began to re-position the chairs around us, clearly indicating that it was time to go. As we began to move, I noticed some curious objects on a table nearby, including an Edison reproducer which somebody had fitted into a metal plate instead of the proper carrier-arm. The weight had broken away, as so often happens, but it was still there, and when I had a chance to inspect it I was delighted to find that it still had a two-minute stylus attached, apparently in good condition. It would be a pleasure, I thought, to find the owner and tell him what this seeming piece of junk actually was. Bu then came a less creditable thought: as nobody seemed to be claiming the item, could I not pocket it myself? It is perhaps fortunate that I woke up before this moral dilemma came to a head.

Perhaps, while on the subject, I may be permitted to mention another 'dream machine' which I described and illustrated here just under a year ago: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40633. There have been others, including a cylinder machine whose mandrel stood upright on one end and which had something like the inverted bowl of a serving-spoon extending over the reproducer to act as a resonator, but I cannot remember any further details.

Oliver Mundy.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Bumping it again for another phono related dream! I dreamt I was at some sort of auction and I saw an early Edison home machine that was in filthy condition. Then I thought “I really want to get that but I don’t know how to do these auctions because I never did one before” And that’s where it ended.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Tell me the address and I'll continue tonight for you! :D
In my dreams there's always something preventing me to get the records, or the machines... :D
Inigo

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I had a nightmare a few nights ago. I went to play some records on my credenza and then one of the doors fell off. Then the other door fell off, then all the wood starting just coming apart :( I woke up with a knot in my stomach to only be relived it was a bad dream!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

travisgreyfox wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:29 pm I had a nightmare a few nights ago. I went to play some records on my credenza and then one of the doors fell off. Then the other door fell off, then all the wood starting just coming apart :( I woke up with a knot in my stomach to only be relived it was a bad dream!
Oh I had a dream recently where I broke a bunch of 78s. I felt the same way. Any 78 collector is bound to have this dream once in their life. I also had a dream I met Skitch Henderson of all people, and talked to him about the Revere M-2 tape machine he made a demo tape for, and the trouble with my machine and the little info that’s out there in repairing one.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Last night I dreamed I found some odd cylinders: some labeled "Fay", which were standard diameter, but shorter than usual. They appeared to have gotten wet, and were slightly out of round; so I carefully placed them on a board, and tried to ease them back into shape. There were also a couple of 6 inch or longer cylinders: the surface appeared too degraded, but somehow one of them managed to play. The machine it was on kept trying to swivel off the table, so I had to keep nudging it back...

- Bill