Original Grille Cloth Colors

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Original Grille Cloth Colors

Post by Valecnik »

Nice topic Shane.

My contribution:

W250 in Walnut, currently on EBAY. Note that even though the grillcloth is brownish, that the turntable felt is olive green. More pictures can be found here. Wish I had room for it btw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
Attachments
W250 in Walnut.jpg
W250 in Walnut.jpg (111.49 KiB) Viewed 2569 times

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

A250 in Mahogany
Attachments
250 Photo 3.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Btw, this guy is selling new historically accurate grillcloths on eBAY in brownish silk and olive green silk. I got one of each. They are the best I've seen, very thin and a bit shiny. The green one is a very good match to the original I have in my C19 in color and texture. Of course that's not to say you could not find same at the local fabric store more cheaply. Just thought I'd pass it on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Edison-Antique-Phon ... 27b08ead3e

Steve Stephens
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Restoration is little more than another kind of destruction.

Post by Steve Stephens »

Valecnik wrote: Note that even though the grillcloth is brownish, that the turntable felt is olive green.
That brings up a question of whether the original grillcloths have faded, how much, and from what color to what color. Cloth covered electric fan power cords did often fade from a shade of green to tan. If you take an old power cord off some fans (I've seen it on GE from the c.1920 period) the tan cord will be green inside the base. Would any of the phono grillcloth be hidden enough from ambient light to not fade? I think it is good to be open to the possibility that some grillcloth has faded, even to another color like the green to tan on some GE fans.

Photo is of original cloth covered wire on a c.1920 GE fan. Originally green, it has faded to tan from being exposed to years of light. The green portion has been pulled out of the base where it was protected from fading.

Steve
Attachments
CIMG2163.JPG
Last edited by Steve Stephens on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Great thread G-Shane!

Here is the A-Series Diamond Disc located in Edison's (Glenmont) house.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Original grille cloth on my B-80 belt driven Diamond Disc phono... (altho seems to have lost its color?)

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Original Grille Cloth on my Edison 3-C Long Play Diamond Disc phonograph

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

Here is the original grill cloth on my Sonora Symphony. It is a sea mist green color without texture or pattern to the weave.

Talkophone
Victor II

Post by Talkophone »

The W250 is in my Hometown. If I had room for it I would try to buy it. A friend of mine an antique dealer bought it at an auction a couple of weeks ago for the amazing price of $35.00 with a dolphin key which he sold in another ebay auction. The phonograph is in outstanding original condition.

Larry

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

ColoradoPhonograf wrote:Here is the original grill cloth on my Sonora Symphony. It is a sea mist green color without texture or pattern to the weave.
Wowie, look at that thing! Nice grill cloth, too. :-)