Howard’s restore a finish

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oldtvsandtoys
Victor II
Personal Text: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.........Why Soitenly

Howard’s restore a finish

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

Would using Howard’s restore a finish on a vic 2 hurt its value? The original finish is very nice, but I would like to clean it up a bit and fill in the spots where it a little thin. Also is there a better way to do it? :?:

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Howard’s restore a finish

Post by Brad »

This topic will draw a range animated emotions for those of us here. I used it on a restoral of an Edison Amberola 75. The results were OK, not great. Basically all you are doing is dissolving the original finish and spreading it around. Similar to re-amalgamating the finish. before and after pictures are below.

I would recommend cleaning first with Kotton Kleaner and try waxing to see if that gives you the results you like. Personally, I try not to modify the original finish unless it is just too far gone. The Amberola was an experiment.
Attachments
Before, several areas missing finish.  I only Howard'ed the top
Before, several areas missing finish. I only Howard'ed the top
After, still can see the areas that were missing finish.
After, still can see the areas that were missing finish.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I saw the Howard's at a local hardware store as I was looking for something to use on this William and Mary I am working on. I didn't purchase it since I wasn't sure of what it did.

I try when possible, but it always isn't to save the original finish.. If I run into a problem then I first try to remedy the part of the cabinet that needs a total stripping. Usually I have sanded down lightly with a 300 or 600 final sandpaper to remove a rough finish. Then I touch up the stain and go over it with a thinned shellac that is pretty easy to use in a thin form. Normally I buff it with steel wool to remove the really high gloss and wax it.

I do use the Kotten Klenser but find it has a tendency to weaken the finish and can leave it quite sticky to the touch for some time. I did my upright brunswick which had paint splotched on the the cabinet and was somewhat rough with that method and it looks nearly like new.

Larry

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Frankly, I like the stuff. As pointed out above, maybe part of the reason I like it is because it improves things a bit without making any major alterations to the finish (and this includes leaving some flaws intact). It does move some of the finish around to some degree, and I believe it contains some stain as well, which acts as a scratch cover.

For old phonographs, I wipe the cabinet down with lemon oil to clean it, then use Restore-a-finish with 0000 steel wool (rubbing with the grain), and then finish up with some furniture wax.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Yes I noticed at the hardware store they had a Golden Oak and a Maple colored Howard's product. I needed a very dark walnut so that was out but it sounds of interest. I wonder if its compatible with all finishes?

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Larry,

As I understand it it is a mixture of Lacquer thinner and Alcohol so it will effect Lacquer and Shellac finishes. The more modern varnishes/polys won't be effected by it.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I like Howard's too. Seems to me to work best on later finishes, Orthophonics for example. I also think it did a nice job on an Ebony finished phonograph.

Steve

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

A few years back, I was given an old oak office chair. It had been left outside for an extended period of time. The finish was gone, and the stain had literally been bleached out of the wood by the sun and rain. As an experiment, I went over the thing with some Howard's, just to see what would happen. I was left with a very nice even looking stain. I put a couple coats of shellac over it, and it looked great. I eat dinner using this chair every night.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

I was wondering, what chain stores carry the Howards products? I live in San Diego and I am not
sure where to buy it. Thanks.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I refer to it as 'Secret Sauce' and it is typically sold in antiques malls. You can smell the pervasive odor of it (and potpourri) the minute you hit the door!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan