Wow! Edison Art Case Sheraton DD Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Wow! Edison Art Case Sheraton DD Phonograph

Post by phonophan79 »

Wowie!

I would LOVE to have this Edison Diamond Disc in my collection!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0089683716

FROM THE AUCTION:

Very Rare Edison Art Case Sheraton Phonograph! Its official specifications from Edison Co. reads... The Sheraton #9 model C-250, Nov 1916, 110-120 volt DC. electric motor also w/double spring motor.. Reproduction from an original Sheraton Mahogany sideboard and typical of the best work of Sheraton! Finished in Cuban Mahogany. Cabinet designed by H.D. Newson, artist of the W.A. French Furniture Co. Minneapolis and New York. It was stated that this and other Art Models would be built only on special receipt of uncancellable orders and list prices would be quoted upon enquiry... This phonograph is in overall excellent original condition!... No veneer missing, no deep scratches, normal light wear only... The electric motor works well, can use a new plug and wire, the double spring motor works great and runs very long and smooth on one crank. The reproducer gives a clear and loud reproduction of the music!... This vintage instrument can be displayed and used as is, no major work needed. This is a very rare Edison Art Case model, very few of these where ever made let alone what may exist after all these years. If you are a serious Edison collector don't let this one get away, who knows when one may be available again. You never find these rare pieces until they come out of a collection once every 20 years or so......PayPal payment due at end of sell. As with all vintage instruments sold in as is condition.All sells final.Pick up is recommended , I can help make arrangements to crate and ship this item through Craters and Freighters if needed. Buyer pays all shipping costs ....... GOOD LUCK.
Attachments
pic.jpg
pic.jpg (44.48 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
pic 1.JPG
pic 1.JPG (45.78 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
pic 2.JPG
pic 2.JPG (52.92 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (32.63 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
pic4.JPG
pic4.JPG (40.52 KiB) Viewed 2187 times

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Wow! Edison Art Case Sheraton DD Phonograph

Post by Valecnik »

I would love to have this one but pretty expensive and of course where to put it...?

I' pretty sure it's been offered before at a similar or possibly higher price more than a year ago so the seller seems not too flexible on price. Not sure I would be either. :monkey:

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

I dunno. This is one of those things that may be rare, but I can't see why it should be worth so much. Just doesn't seem that interesting. Plus, to say that this cabinet is typical of the best work of Sheraton is quite a stretch, to put it politely.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I see both sides. The price comes from the rarity of this phonograph mixed with the fact that they were made by Edison. (If it was an off-brander of the same form, it wouldn't be "worth" nearly that much.) But that being said, I'm torn as to whether or not I would be happy after paying a price like that for it. I would love to own it, but the price seems a bit deer.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

I see both points as well. The side cabinet is basically just curved... which, as Sonny said, on another machine would not be a big deal... but because it's an Edison... have you EVER seen an Edison that was not a box? But seeing the cabinet doors open, its just empty space... which doesn't seem practical for Diamond Disc's... no actual record or album "holders".

Plus the fact that everything is electrified here and the nice little lamp bulb. Considering most Edison Diamond Discs are identical, save for the cabinets... and even the cabinets are similar in their own way... this is very different from them all, in both cabinet and mechanics.

bobsled48
Victor O

Post by bobsled48 »

It is missing the record holders, I have the same machine and it has felt lined dividers with a mahogony framework, Bob

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Aha! Thanks... indeed the price should not be so high with these missing.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Yes, I can see why some of us would get excited about this. The two motors and all, but, as someone has already said, if this was an off brand, hardly anyone would give it a second glance. Stylistically it's just dull to look at, though I suppose when it came out it was considered quite tasteful.

At the right price I would want it too. I'm just not willing to shell out all kinds of cash anymore, and if I do spend this kind of dough I'd want an art case Victrola, or something with a lot more pizazz (and a lower price tag).

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

bobsled48 wrote:It is missing the record holders, I have the same machine and it has felt lined dividers with a mahogony framework, Bob
Wow Bobsled, you lucky guy.

If you have time and are able, it would be great if you could post some pictures of yours, including the record storage and showing how those motors are mounted. I can't understand it from the eBAY pics. Perhaps you could make it a featured phono? It would surely generate alot of discussion.

Valecnik
PS: I note that the initial price for these with the electric motor was $1,000. That's quite a bit considering you could get a C250 for, well, $250!

bobsled48
Victor O

Post by bobsled48 »

Sorry, can't post any pictures, however ,the machine I have is a spring motor only. It has a long crank on the right side with a small "bicycle" type chain and sprocket for winding, the electric motor shown in the photograph looks like it may be for winding purposes,not for powering the turntable, Anyone have any more info? Bob