Brunswick Sharon phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Brunswick Sharon phonograph

Post by eighteenbelow »

I picked this little floor model up at a yard sale some years back and have never restored it, in part because I don't have a crank for it. I don't know much about it, including when it would have been made, how much it would have cost new, and if it had some form of exponential horn, but if anybody has any information about it, I would be grateful. A few questions, while I'm at it:

1. As I mentioned, I don't have a crank for it; can anyone tell me what kind of crank it would take? Male or female, reach, throw, thread, etc. (And if by some chance you have one you would consider selling me, please let me know!)

2. This one appears to have a full Ultona reproducer, but look closely and you'll see that while it has a regular lateral reproducer and a Diamond Disc reproducer, it lacks the Pathé-type stylus! I've seen Ultonas that had just the lateral and the Pathé, or that had all three, but never one of these before; has anyone else seen them?

3. As you can see in the last photo, the original grille cloth is missing. Can anyone tell me what it would have looked like?

Thanks!
Attachments
Brunswick Sharon 1.jpg
Brunswick Sharon 2.jpg
Brunswick Sharon 3.jpg
Brunswick Sharon 4.jpg

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Re: Brunswick Sharon phonograph

Post by eighteenbelow »

I just checked, and my best guess for the crank would be a 7.5" or 8" reach. Don't know much more than that. Does anyone else have one of these?

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

I parted out a Brunswick/Radiola console some years back (flood victim from the speaker on down to the floor). That machine was from about the 1924-25 era and that, too, had the Ultona reproducer missing the Pathé angled needle chuck. I guess by then the vertical recording process was left to just Edison, hence offering the Brunswick reproducer with what you have here. If you had favorite records from the 1910s on vertically cut Pathé and other labels, you were just out of luck. Of course, the dealer could sell you a Brunswick record of your favorite instead.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

I'd say this machine dates to about 1924 as well. Hopefully we have a Brunswick guru on the forum who can confirm. The vertical recording era was pretty much over for everyone but Edison by about 1920, so I can understand why there wouldn't have been an attachment for Pathé needles. It would have been the 1920s equivalent of having a DVD/BetaMax combo. :lol:

I'm not sure about this model, but I've seen several phonos with decorative grille work that never had a grille cloth, some Brunswick models included. If it did have one, I can guarantee it looked nothing like the black cloth that's in there now. That almost looks like a piece of landscaper's fabric from the photo.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

zenith82 wrote:... I've seen several phonos with decorative grille work that never had a grille cloth, some Brunswick models included. If it did have one, I can guarantee it looked nothing like the black cloth that's in there now. That almost looks like a piece of landscaper's fabric from the photo.
I spotted this image of a Brunswick Sharon, with what looks to be the original grille cloth intact --
Capture.JPG
From: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Brunsw ... 7675.l2557

HTH,
OrthoFan

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

I have a Sharon model SN 211912 so close to yours. Here is a photo of my crank. Part of my grille is missing but it's okay for me. This cloth came with the machine but have no idea what original would be. Neil
Attachments
sharon 005.jpg
sharon 001.jpg

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Another thing missing from my Sharon besides part of the grille is the round metal piece behind the handle so if you see one let me know. Here is the front of my machine.
Attachments
sharon front.jpg
sharon front.jpg (104.16 KiB) Viewed 1830 times

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Here are two closeups of the end of the crank. So now with these photos perhaps someone can look in their spares box and see if they have one like it. Neil
Attachments
sharon crank 002.jpg
sharon crank 002.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
sharon crank 001.jpg
sharon crank 001.jpg (91.52 KiB) Viewed 1824 times

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

Thanks! That's definitely a distinctive-looking crank -- I've never seen a tip like that one! Do you know what the threading is?

Both my door pulls do have that plate behind them. I'm not sure how one would have fallen off. Have you checked in the motor compartment? Someone might have stashed it there.

I've attached a couple of photos of the crank receptacle on my motor. Hopefully between those and your very helpful photos someone might recognize a crank they have in their parts box?
Attachments
Brunswick Sharon motor 2.jpg
Brunswick Sharon motor 1.jpg

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Well ask around and as always some folks might sell such a crank. If you don't find one by spring in April contact George Vollema in Michigan since he has two ware houses full of parts. Good luck. Maybe even make a separate new post here showing the photos and asking people if they have one? Neil