Brevetti Reproducer?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Brevetti Reproducer?

Post by SonnyPhono »

I met a collector who lives close to me this morning. She stopped by and we spent a few hours discussing her phonographs and chatting about anything and everything phono. She has collected for a couple years and has a very established collection for being fairly new to the hobby.

As I looked over her phonographs in the picture below, there is one that I didn't know anything about. It is the one on the far left hand side. It looks like a mix between a Columbia and Pathé if that makes sense. I asked her about it and she said that it didn't have any decals or writing to identify it anywhere. So I am trying to do so for her. The only clue to be found is the word "Breveti" (possibly "Brevetti"?) on the reproducer. Aside from that there is nothing written anywhere else.

Does anyone know anything about a Breveti reproducer or possibly the phonograph pictured? I think Brevetti is Italian for "Patent", but am not positive and either way doesn't help me out too much. She did say that it came from over seas, but don't recall where she said exactly. Thanks for the help!

gregbogantz
Victor II

Re: Brevetti Reproducer?

Post by gregbogantz »

The cylinder phono on the far left side of the picture with the spun aluminum horn looks like a Wizard. These were particularly interesting because the works were stored upside down in the base. When opened up as seen here, the works are turned rightside up and sit on top of the base. Fabrizio and Paul have one pictured and described in their books. Can't remember which book just now.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

It does look a bit like a wizard except for the horn.

Phonocookie posted his Wizard with the horn I'm more familiar with in this thread.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... zard#p6411

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

It's definitely not a 'Wizard'. For one thing, the 'Wizard' is a US machine and wouldn't say "Brevete" on it; secondly, the mandrel of the 'Wizard' has a threaded shaft on one end and a smooth shaft on the other. The machine in the photo doesn't have a shaft on the receiving end of the mandrel. If anyone has Daniel Marty's book, or Fabrizio-Pauls' 'World of Antique Phonographs', there are a number of European machines by several makers with these 'hunting horns' and combination bases shown.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Your friend seems to have not only good taste, but also a talent for displaying her items in a fantastic manner!

Obviously you do not have a better photo (or you would have posted it!).

There were a few dozen European manufactureres who made eagle inspired phonographs - starting with Pathé - and without a better picture it is difficult to identify. A Wizard it is of course not.

Would it be possible to get a picture of the machine itself?

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Yes, she has not only done well in the two years she has collected, but has also done well to display them. The display cabinets/shelves were built by one of her friends. She came up with the design and he built it. It looks good and is functional considering the room is only 11' X 12', (if I remember correctly).

I will see if I can get a closeup of the phonograph from her and will post it if I can get it. Thanks for the help!

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Here is a picture of the phonograph in question. Does this help to identify it?

Also, I was off on the name written on the reproducer. It is actually "Brevete". Thanks again for the help everyone.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

From what I see in the photo, like the stop/ start lever, regulator my tip would be a French Brand called Musica. The only Identification they had for the machines was on the wood box. Would you have a photo from the side?

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

I don't have any other pictures but will definitely email her to get some of the side. Thanks again for the help!