Cardinal Phonograph Restoration Project (Need Advice)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

Re: Cardinal Phonograph Restoration Project (Need Advice)

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

^ Bump.

And also, how can I go about making the finish "smooth?"

Mine has a bit of an orange peel thing going on. Still looks very good, but it isn't glassy-smooth. Sanding helps, but then I need to add another coat. I am sanding between each coat with 320 to make it as smooth as possible.

I just didn't know if you guys have been able to replicate a "smooth" look to your refinishing projects, or if this is as good as I'm going to get (which still looks very good.)
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

SignatureSeriesOwner wrote:^ Bump.

And also, how can I go about making the finish "smooth?"

Mine has a bit of an orange peel thing going on. Still looks very good, but it isn't glassy-smooth. Sanding helps, but then I need to add another coat. I am sanding between each coat with 320 to make it as smooth as possible.

I just didn't know if you guys have been able to replicate a "smooth" look to your refinishing projects, or if this is as good as I'm going to get (which still looks very good.)
Normally, a final wet sanding using #600 wet or dry sandpaper, or a polishing using 0000 steel wool (soaked in oil) will give you a glowing luster. If you want a glass-like finish, you can also give it a polishing using something like rotten stone -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotten_stone -- which is what cabinet makers such as Victor used at the time.

In order for this to work properly, the finish has to have dried rock hard. For shellac, especially, it's a good idea to wait a week or so before the final polishing, depending on ambient temperature, humidity, etc.

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II

Great! Would stores like Home Depot, Lowes, etc have Rotten Stone, or would it be a bit more difficult to obtain?

And also, in order to obtain a finish like that, do I need to keep applying shellac until it has completely filled in the grain of the wood, or is that not necessary? I've added 6 coats of shellac so far, and it looks very good.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

SignatureSeriesOwner wrote:Great! Would stores like Home Depot, Lowes, etc have Rotten Stone, or would it be a bit more difficult to obtain?

And also, in order to obtain a finish like that, do I need to keep applying shellac until it has completely filled in the grain of the wood, or is that not necessary? I've added 6 coats of shellac so far, and it looks very good.
Lowes? Home Depot? AHAHAHAHAHA!

Woodworker's Supply, or even some smaller hardware stores (the few that are left).
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II

I was just wondering :P

I bought all of my supplies so far from there, didn't know if they would carry it or not.

I reckon I could find it around here somewhere.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I know that the Antique Phonograph Supply Co lists it on their site --

http://www.antiquephono.com/cabinet.htm

Also, a quick search at Google Shopper came up with this:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&nu ... a=N&tab=wf

BTW, if there are any small imperfections in the finish after you do the final polish, a top coat of good quality satin paste wax will probably take care of that.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

SSO,

Woodcraft and Rockler both carry these products. There may be brick storefront near you, or you can mail order. Their web sites list their storefront locations.

Brad

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II

Gotcha. Thanks for the info guys. :D

How many coats of shellac do you guys usually use when refinishing your machines? I'm thinking 6 is fine, although 4-5 more would completely cover the grain of the wood so it would all be flush.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I have never gone further than 4. I am not an expert, but I have read that if you put shellac on too thick, you risk alligatoring and cracking. The real question is, how much is too thick?

(Perhaps you can add coats until it alligators, then back off a coat :lol: ).

JohnM, you have some knowledge in this area....
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II

Just an update:

Here is where it stands now. Everything you see pictured (except the right door, and the rear leg) have been finished. The other side, the back, and a few other small things still need to have shellac added over them. Then, it's a motor rebuild, replacement of all damaged nickel parts, and a new turntable felt. Then it will be complete.

Question is....

Did this originally come with a grille cloth? I would think so, but it didn't exactly cost $300 when new, so..

Image Image

As soon as everything fully cures, I plan on polishing it with some Rottenstone so it's all 100% even. I've since the first photo applied to shellac to the sides surrounding the motorboard, so it looks much nicer.