Has anyone ever seen a finish turn green on a VV-130

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Has anyone ever seen a finish turn green on a VV-130

Post by Jonsheff »

I have been watching this ebay listing for a month going down in price every time it is relisted. What do you think would cause the finish to turn green? Was it a refinishing gone bad? The lid looks mahogany. I would pick it up if it was closer (in CA) i love 17s and 130s.
Screenshot_20190214-221711_eBay.jpg

mattrx
Victor IV

Re: Has anyone ever seen a finish turn green on a VV-130

Post by mattrx »

In the photograph posted here, the finish simply looks stripped away (and poorly). After looking up the listing, some of the photos of are printed images. This method of posting photos may explain the green that you see.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-Victrol ... ctupt=true

Matt

PS, if you are looking for a nice Walnut 130-check my listing in the Yankee Trader section. :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Has anyone ever seen a finish turn green on a VV-130

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The finish may also be a little dry, or the photos may have been taken with a cellular phone.

I'd take it if I had room. My first Victrola had the veneer peeling off of the doors and the back panel missing. It's back together now with most of the original finish...but I've been contemplating a re-do for some years now, kind of because what Jonsheff has said about how nasty they look when the clearcoat fails.

Beautiful Victrola! Whatever you do, Jon, save one of these for your own collection!