VV-XI Tone Arm HELP!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
rbjoep
Victor Jr

VV-XI Tone Arm HELP!

Post by rbjoep »

I noticed recently that as my "workhorse" VV-XI neared the last third of a record the sound became distorted. After some tinkering I realized the tone arm was not fully fitting in the support. After taking about the assembly (not realizing there were 5 very tiny bearings inside- which took me almost an entire day to find in the carpet!) and reassembling it is much better, however still not totally correct. Is there supposed to be a gasket as well as the sleeve and support-bearing retainer? Is there anything I could be missing? Please help -this machine has been my trusted friend for 20+years and I cannot live without it! Thanks!!! :(

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: VV-XI Tone Arm HELP!

Post by Jerry B. »

The only parts include the tone arm, cast bracket, pin, ball bearings, and the ball bearing spacer. The pin at the top of the cast bracket should be adjusted down as far as possible. I use a little light oil on the ball bearings after the area and parts have been cleaned. The automatic stop pin on the underside of the tone arm is adjustable. Is it possible that it is too low and coming into contact with the cabinet? Jerry Blais

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

What Jerry B. said. Make sure that there is no vertical play at all between the taper tube (Victorspeak for "tone arm") and its bracket---not even the slightest hint of play. There is a sweet spot in the adjustment between too tight and too loose (I guess it's called "just right"). A bit of trial-and-error will eventually lead to success. Also, apply a drop of light oil to the top pivot, as well as 2-3 drops around the circumference of the bearing surface (at base of taper tube where it rests on the bracket).

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

Is this a tonearm bearing that has 3 screws around the base that let you adjust the play of the ball bearings? If so you want to adjust it so it is just right, smooth but with no binding at any point. Also from the factory they seemed to have used light grease in this bearing (when I take them apart anyway!) so I assume you should use that too as opposed to just light oil. This would probably be good for assuring a good acoustic seal in the tonearm too.

Also since you are getting distortion in the record, that makes me wonder more about the joint at the soundbox end of the tonearm, like maybe it needs oil or is too tight and is binding. (I.e. the joint that lets the soundbox move up and down.) Adjust that joint with the soundbox removed, then it is easier to detect any binding as you swivel it up and down.

rbjoep
Victor Jr

Post by rbjoep »

Thanks so much to everyone for their advice and help! I will let you know how it goes!