What's an "ORS" phonograph?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Brinybay
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal." - Dimitri Martin

What's an "ORS" phonograph?

Post by Brinybay »

I can't find any info on it online.

JohnM
Victor V

Re: What's an "ORS" phonograph?

Post by JohnM »

It is a 'QRS', not an "ORS". QRS was -- and remains -- one of the largest piano-roll manufacturers in the world. Last time I checked, they were still operating out of Buffalo, NY. I toured the factory there about 40 years ago. In their 1920's advertising, the tag-line for 'QRS' was "Quality, Real Service". I doubt that QRS actually manufactured these portables. I suspect they were made by a supplier and branded 'QRS'.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: What's an "ORS" phonograph?

Post by estott »

http://www.qrsmusic.com/about.asp

QRS now runs out of Pennsylvania and though they still sell some paper rolls they are mostly in the business of selling electronic piano playing systems.

In the late 20's and early 30's when player piano sales were falling off QRS made some efforts to diversify and issued a phonograph record on the QRS label: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QRS_Records. They also sold several styles of portable phonograph branded with their trademark, all of them built by outside makers- I suspect yours was built by Waters-Conley, or Prime Mfg. They are average machines for the period but are interesting to player piano collectors.

QRS also entered the camera market with the QRS/DeVry Bakelite bodied cameras, which were easily broken.. They also marketed the more successful play-a-sax, which was really a harmonica that used paper rolls.