Edison DD Rebuild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Edison DD Rebuild

Post by need4art »

Hi All,
OK I have gotten the Victor motor,governor,rebuild pretty well down-now I would like to do an Edison DD rebuild. I was going to build the rig that was presented on the board a while ago but was wondering about how to handle the process. With the Victor you pick the motor board up flip it over and everything is right there. it is not that way on a DD.
Having taken a really torn up machine apart I saved the bottom board that the horn pivit goes into and have the bedplate hangers as well. What I do not know is it best to keep everything together and just lift streight out and into the rig-or is it best to seperate at the horn shaft. I just do not know how critical the line up factor is and what I get into when I start seperating parts-and can the unit stand getting lifted out without hurting anything.

This unit operates really well and the motor is very quite. The cabinet needs a freshing up and it would be easier if I could lay it on its side.
Thx in advance
Abe

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Edison DD Rebuild

Post by gramophoneshane »

Personally, I like to disconnect the horn (and volume control if applicable) from the motor before lifting it out, and then I treat it like any other motor- with the exception of turning the motor over on a old folded towel to avoid chipping the bedplate paint work.
Im not sure if that's how it's done according to the original maintainence instructions here in the archives, but that's how I do it.
The horn is only connected to the lift lever via 2 square headed set-screws, so it's easy enough to disconnect.

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Am I making it harder than it is- but is there a relationship between the horn shaft and other parts in this machine and would I do well to scribe a line on the shaft to make sure that it is set at the same height as before-anything else to look for?
Abe

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I did mark the shaft the first time I did one, but they're pretty easy to adjust if you dont.
The only thing that is a bit fiddly with these is that as you lift the bed plate, you need to reach under & hold the fan shaped rack up off the driving worm that feeds the horn across the record.
I just checked the original instructions, and it explains removing the motor fairly well, and how to adjust the horn height if needs be.
When I do them, I leave the machine a foot or so from the wall, then disconnect the lid stay, and flip the lid back out of the way, allowing the lid to rest against the wall. This just gives you plenty of room to lift the motor out. On table models, I've normally removed the lid altogether.
The instructions tell you to remove the mute ball & cable, but I just take the two screws out that hold the slid control to the bed plate. That disconnects the volume control from the motor & saves you re-adjusting everything later.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ?f=2&t=476