Mica Retaining Screw: how tight?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Mica Retaining Screw: how tight?

Post by antique1973 »

I am replacing a mica on a Victrola No. 2 reproducer. I know that if the center retaining
screw is too tight it could crack the mica. However, it seems like I got mine as tight as it will
go but the mica still spins freely and there is a small amount of "wiggle room". How exactly tight
should this screw be? Thanks for any input.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Mica Retaining Screw: how tight?

Post by gramophoneshane »

I like to tighten mine just enough to grip the mica and let the bees wax do to work of holding it securely.
Some soundboxes have a tiny washer between the screw & mica, and it sounds like this might be what you need. I'm fairly certain my No.2 has a washer, but it's an HMV soundbox so the Victors may be different.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

I didn't see one on mine but its possible it disintegrated over time. I just tightened it the best I could and
since I don't have beeswax I used automotive gasket sealer. Seems to be working ok. Thanks.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've seen these washers made of brass, mica & even heavy paper, so you could probably cut a paper one yourself. They're usually only slightly bigger than the screw head, but smaller than the round part of the needle bar where the screw screws in.
I'm not sure about the auto sealer. If it remains too spungy, it will probably dampen the sound to some extent & maybe cause distortion.
Even candle wax will work well if you dont have proper bees wax. I actually do a lot of mine with cylinder wax. One broken or mouldy cylinder will last you a life time of soundbox overhauls :)

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

So far the gasket sealer is holding up ok. One good thing about it is it can be removed
fairly easily if needed. I was going to use candle wax but I was concerned about how to
control a drop of candle wax so it does not splatter everywhere and make a mess. How do you
apply your wax may I ask?

I don't have any cylinders, working or broken for that matter. lol. I am still in the market
for a cylinder machine but have not found the right deal yet. Plus I am putting some $$ into
my XVI project which is straining the budget a bit. I have a reconditioned motor, board, gold hardware, etc
on the way shortly. Can't wait to put it all together. :)

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

antique1973 wrote:...... I was going to use candle wax but I was concerned about how to
control a drop of candle wax so it does not splatter everywhere and make a mess. How do you
apply your wax may I ask?
This topic has caused some debate in the paste, but the way I do it is to stick a small chunk of bees wax to the the head of the screw (inside the repro), then touch the needle bar by where is attaches to the mica on the outside with a hot soldering iron until the wax melts and flows.

You can get bees wax at Woodcraft or Rockler if you have a storefront near you. It is sold as a lubricant for wooden drawer slides or to be made into a wood finish. You could also look for fresh honey sold in the comb or for anyone that keeps bees. You don't need much.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

Maybe a washer made of a really thin rubbery material would do a good job of gripping the mica disc. I tighten mine with a decent crank of two fingers on the skinniest-handled screwdriver I have, that way it's harder for me to overdo it. For the wax, I just heat up the end of a small screwdriver or other pointed tool (hot but not hot enough to smoke the wax), touch it to some wax and then touch it to the screwhead, then the wax just flows to it via capillary action.