Exciting phono discovery in my own collection!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Exciting phono discovery in my own collection!

Post by Valecnik »

Being well organized has it's drawbacks. Fortunately I don't suffer from this affliction. As a result, from time to time I've discovered some really neat things that I'd forgotten I had or possibly even never knew I had in the beginning, an extra very desireable reproducer I'd squirreled away, (no offense Rocky) an extra horn, a very desireable record. It's great because you get all the exhileration of buying something new but don't need to expend any money.

Does this happen to others or is it just the result of my having had a few too many beers at Union over the years? :monkey:

Nat
Victor III

Re: Exciting phono discovery in my own collection!

Post by Nat »

I know exactly what you mean, although with me, the discovery is usually a record forgot I have, or lost... Unhappily, this sometimes happens after I buy a second copy of it, and then discover it's a duplicate. But most of those "finds" are usually a lot of fun!

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I wouldn't know because I suffer from the same affliction and can rarely find something I know I have (which is frustrating). So, if I have something special, I may never know. ;)
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Records for me. About a year ago I pulled a record off the shelf to find myself looking at one of the black label G&T's that Geraldine Farrar made in London in 1905 before she was promoted to red seal status: Cherry Ripe 3620. Kinda interesting, kinda rare and not something you're going to find at the local Sally Ann. I looked at it as if it had been spontaneously created in my hand...and possibly it had because I had ...and still have ...utterly NO idea where it came from or how. :shock:

Jim

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Great question!

I was fortunate to have packed most of my collection up for 6+ years. When I unpacked the collection I was amazed at all the little stuff (accessories and paper) that I owned. It was like Christmas morning!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Auxetophile wrote:Great question!

I was fortunate to have packed most of my collection up for 6+ years. When I unpacked the collection I was amazed at all the little stuff (accessories and paper) that I owned. It was like Christmas morning!

Yes I had most of my collection packed up for 12 years so reopening it all a year ago really was like Christmas.

I can also relate to purchasing something I already had, like buying a "just okay" copy of a record I wanted only to find that I already owned a much nicer example. This has happened more than once... :monkey: