Someone Should Try For This One

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Someone Should Try For This One

Post by SonnyPhono »

I don't think I have ever seen an 8-7 before. Are these rare? Is this a good price?

http://houston.craigslist.org/atq/1700171814.html

Date: 2010-04-19, 5:01PM CDT

"Antique Victrola and stack of 78s. Does need restoring but is in good shape to start with. Buyer responsible for pick up. Price: $300."

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: Someone Should Try For This One

Post by phonophan79 »

This is the one on wheels, pretty cool... intended for use by schools and churches to be wheeled around as needed.

You can kinda see the wheels in the bottom corner.

http://www.victor-victrola.com/8-7.htm
Attachments
8-7.jpg
8-7.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 1267 times

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

There were only a couple thousand of these made. I would imagine $300 is a fair price.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

That machine is practically all horn. It looks like the tone arm and sound box were replaced with the earlier style. Even so, that's a real good price. Equipped with a properly rebuilt Orthophonic sound box (and tone arm), it should sound really stunning. I wish I was close enough for that one!

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Me too! Just too far away. I would like to know what records are included. Usually when someone throws in records, they are usually stacked without sleeves making them scratched and in poor condition. But you can see the nice size stack sitting next to the phonograph that appear to be in sleeves. That makes $300 look even better.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

FYI,this machine sold within a very short time after it was posted.Not as cool as a real "school" but a great price.I'm sure I know who scooped this since it was in his backyard!!!!LOL!!!!.Good rule to follow in phono buying......if it looks like a good deal.......don't waste time.As long as you know your stuff.If you need to ask.....it's GONE!!!!!!!.I stopped counting how many times I made that mistake!!!LOL!!!!! :oops:

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I emailed at 6:15 am this morning but was too late. I didn't check CL last nite figuring the activity for the weekend was over. Would have been a cool one to get... Ah well, the pursuit is part of the fun anyway. If I never missed out- it'd be no fun, I'd be broke & I'd have too much stuff (OK, I already do).
Steve

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

This is a photo I took of my old 8-7 that I sold back in 1993. I sold it to Scott Corbett who sold it to someone else, but when I took the photo, Pat Jones was selling it at the Lutheran church sale last year in Elgin. It was like seeing an old friend. The horn is the same size as a Credenza, but is all metal. A shelf pulls up in the back and locks in place, and the pull drops flush with the surface of the shelf when horizontal. There is a turned wooden handle on the back and a kick-plate at the bottom to toe against when it is tipped back to roll. Very beautiful, austere machines, in an almost Mission-style cabinet -- and they sound great! The taper-tube on mine was painted black when I bought it (from Fred McCole back in the 1980's) and I never changed it, but it still had the nickel-plated brass reproducer I put on it.
Attachments
Victrola 8-7.jpg
Victrola 8-7.jpg (26.63 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan