First Talking machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
willybe
Victor Jr

First Talking machine

Post by willybe »

I have a floor machine the label on it says Mellowtone made by Leon G. Samuals Chicago. It is in great shape ,the unit plays very well I also received around 100 records. I can not fine any info about the unit. I have a video of it online it hangs a little due to my Iphone connection , but any help identifying it will be appreciated . http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6305423

Thanks
Bruce

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: First Talking machine

Post by OrthoFan »

I couldn't get it to play. I clicked on the link, the page loaded, and then all I saw was a black box.

I googled

Ustream "won't play"

and spotted quite a few references. A common problem with Firefox browsers, apparently.

Can anyone take a few screen captures and post them in this string?

willybe
Victor Jr

Post by willybe »

copy and past the links in your browser and they will work...sorry not to good at forum stuff.
Thanks
Bruce

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

One of dozens of machines produced after the expiration of the Victor Talking Machine Company's fundamental patents. Most lowboy models were popular after 1921. It is designed to play acoustically-recorded records, so it is before 1925. Here is an article about this category of phonograph from Tim Gracyk's excellent website:

http://www.gracyk.com/makers.shtml

I noticed in your post on another board that you mention that you want to find some Sons of the Pioneers records to play on it. Please understand that recording and playback technology was evolving constantly as time progressed. The Sons of the Pioneers date to the late 1930's and the recording and playback technology had changed significantly between 1920-1924 (when your Mellowtone was made) and 1937. While the 1930's records can physically be played on your Mellowtone, it is not designed to handle the amount of sound energy packed into the record groove by the late 1930's-era electrical recording process. The Sons of the Pioneers will sound blasty and distorted on an acoustical-era machine and may potentially damage both the machine and the recordings. Late 1930's records were designed to be played upon (typically) radio-phonograph combination machines with vacuum tube amplifiers and salt-crystal pick-ups and diamond styli, not diaphragm-type reproducers and steel needles. Take some time to educate yourself about the technology of the hobby before you plunge right in. Unless you are playing records on a 'modern' turntable/amp system, when using 'vintage' equipment, the playback technology should match the record technology for optimal results.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

willybe
Victor Jr

Post by willybe »

Thanks for the info. I am new and learning. I have noticed a few records do seam to over drive the diagram. I have bought some more needles soft and medium style. I do not know what the needles are that i have. This is some very good knowledge you have just blessed me with. I will keep this in mind when looking for records. and try to get a better understanding of how the thing actually works. sometimes it easy to get over excited and dive in head first, before testing the water.

Thanks
Bruce